diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid 240V Split phase and 208/240V 3 Phase System for a Shop.

Plasmascience

I have a shop that I run some large (≈30kW) 3 phase industrial power supplies in for an additive manufacturing process I am developing. I am currently using a 55 kW 3 phase generator to power them and would like to switch over to solar with a large battery bank and possibly use DC power supplies powered by the grid. I already have 12kW of solar panels and may add an additional 20-30kW. I also have 200A of 240V split phase available from the grid and I have experience with using large DC power supplies to augment the system from the grid when needed as my R&D additive manufacturing system will need to run continuously for multiple days in a row.

If anyone has some equipment recommendations I would greatly appreciate some initial suggestions. Another note, I may end up using this system to supply power to my house which is on the same property and gets it's power from a 400A service already on my shop. So being able to supply all the power to my house would be a bonus when I finish the R&D and move the equipment to a production facility. I won't need 3 phase power any more at that point so systems that can be configured for either 3 phase or split phase are preferable.

For an industrial system like that I'd be thinking quality over cost. Can you afford to have a power outage during the manufacturing process? Something like multiple schneider conext 6848pros in a 3 phase configuration and stacked to get the required power. AIMS Power also makes some large power inverters but those do not have built in battery charging from grid or generator.

Probably more options out there I'm not aware of.

This is what I am considering...
That's one way to do it. You could consider connecting the AC grid to the AC inputs of the four split-phase inverters, let them charge the battery, and provide the additional DC power. They each have 120A DC chargers in them, so that's 480A you don't need to have as power supplies. If that's enough, you can eliminate that whole box of contactors and controllers.
You can't connect the grid to the six 3-phase inverters, but you could connect the 3-phase generator to the AC inputs to add even more DC power using their chargers. It makes sense to utilize what you have before adding more stuff.

Most 120/240 split phase home appliances will run just fine on 120/208 split phase. I would eliminate the seperate Home setup and run the house off of 2 legs of your 3 phase system. You can always add inverters to those legs if you need more power using the house and shop at the same time. Alternately, can your shop equipment run on 380-415v 3p? If so there Are much more affordable options.

Last edited:
Back