diy solar

diy solar

Off-Grid Advice Needed

DenverGuy

A friend of mine who lives in the Colorado mountains was thinking about installing a grid-tied system, but it was too expensive. Instead, he wants something for emergency power only - to run a water pump, refrigerator, some lights, and maybe a microwave oven.

He looked at a 7200 watt-hour solar generator kit. I don't know if that is the right solution. The system comes with 2 power stations. Of course they would have to be brought into the house when needed.

Or, he could go with an off-grid system. Of course it would need its own panel and a way to connect important devices that needed to run during a no-power period of
an unknown time length.

Then there is the matter of being sure that the right capacity system is in place.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

The first place to start is with an energy audit. That is the only way to know how large the system needs to be. @FilterGuy has a nice spreadsheet worked out for this. Hopefully he will stop by and link it.

So many folks don't want to do a proper audit. It is un-sexy and a PITA. However, without doing so you are just guessing. Anyone who makes system recommendations without you having done one and reporting the results is just guessing. So grit your teeth, do the work and you will get a system that does what it needs and costs no more than it has to.

The first place to start is with an energy audit. That is the only way to know how large the system needs to be. @FilterGuy has a nice spreadsheet worked out for this. Hopefully he will stop by and link it.

So many folks don't want to do a proper audit. It is un-sexy and a PITA. However, without doing so you are just guessing. Anyone who makes system recommendations without you having done one and reporting the results is just guessing. So grit your teeth, do the work and you will get a system that does what it needs and costs no more than it has to.
Great advice. Thanks.

Just calculate what you would spend on electricity from the grid, for the next 25 years.
Let this be your budget for your system.
Less than half, is more than enough.

Grid down but need the microwave to work? I had to laugh.
How much money are they willing to throw at this??
I hear that. The power is out for 6 hours but you're hungry and want to cook something. What a crazy idea! /s
P.S. There's always one guy who doesn't get it...

Last edited:
I know plenty of off gridders with a microwave. I don't because I don't like 'em but could if I wanted one. My welder uses a lot more power. And sometimes I am doing laundry as I weld. And the fridge/chest freezer or whatever is running too.

Not only is there the cost analysis but then does one really want a grid tie anyway? Here in CA once you get hooked up you can never un-tie. The CPUC and PG&E got in bed together and royally screwed solar. Dunno about CO but they may be headed that way too. In my case it was simple, they wanted $50k to bring me a grid tie. I put about 12k into my system. And that was years ago when solar and batteries weren't as cheap as they are now.

But again, don't worry about cost yet. Figure out what your pal would need. Then we can get to brass tacks.

I know plenty of off gridders with a microwave. I don't because I don't like 'em but could if I wanted one. My welder uses a lot more power. And sometimes I am doing laundry as I weld. And the fridge/chest freezer or whatever is running too.

Not only is there the cost analysis but then does one really want a grid tie anyway? Here in CA once you get hooked up you can never un-tie. The CPUC and PG&E got in bed together and royally screwed solar. Dunno about CO but they may be headed that way too. In my case it was simple, they wanted $50k to bring me a grid tie. I put about 12k into my system. And that was years ago when solar and batteries weren't as cheap as they are now.

But again, don't worry about cost yet. Figure out what your pal would need. Then we can get to brass tacks.
This would be for emergencies only - just the basics for when the power goes out.

Back