diy solar

diy solar

Off-grid and back-feed questions

donb108

I'm planning an installation similar to Wills 48v off-grid system, using EG4 6500EV's (two inverters, 4 batteries, etc.), and have questions about some of the connections. First, some background details:

Large and small loads are split up; smaller on the left and larger on the right.
Generac requires one transfer switch per breaker panel, operating in "parallel" mode.
The transfer switches provide service disconnects switches on the outside of the building. Breaker panels are inside the house.
For utility/standby operation, neutral-ground bonding is done at the transfer switch.
I'm not planning to sell any power back to the utility.

AC-IN will be connected to "Load Center 1" and looks, electrically, like any other 240v load on the grid.
AC-OUT will be connected to "Load Center 2" via the back feed breaker. This breaker will have a mechanical interlock with the main breaker.

Before installing the solar system, everything will work like a regular utility/standby system.
With solar working, the main breaker of Load Center 2 will be turned off and the back-feed breaker will be turned on.
It would nice to be able to easily switch between solar and utility/generator.

Now the questions:

1- The main breaker of Load Center 2 will switch off both hot legs of the utility. Is this good-enough to be considered off-grid, or do I also have to switch off the neutral leg? Same question about the ground wire.
2-Will's video recommends neutral-ground bonding at the breaker panel, but, the system is already bonded at the transfer switches. This probably depends on the answer to the first question; is the neutral-ground bonding at the transfer switch doing the same thing?
3- Is this how things are usually connected, or ???

1658527689015.png

Only the hots need to be disconnected.
N/G bonding can only be at one place in the system, at any given moment. Preferably at the first means of disconnect. This location can change, in different system modes.

I don’t understand why you need two transfer switches. Doesn’t Grid and GEN feed two inputs, then a single output? So it is either Grid or GEN feeding both panels?

I don’t understand why you need two transfer switches. Doesn’t Grid and GEN feed two inputs, then a single output? So it is either Grid or GEN feeding both panels?
That was my original assumption; one switch with a single output, feeding both panels. Without getting into tons of details, because my house is mostly electric (320 amp service) I was hoping to use two 200 amp switches ($800 each) instead of one 400 amp switch ($3000 each). My original call to Generac was to figure out how to use two, instead of one; purely for cost reasons. It turned out that I had to use two switches.

I don't recall the exact reason, but they gave examples of apartment buildings needing separate breaker panels with dedicated transfer switches in order for landlords to offer the standby generator feature for a fee, and needing separate switches to do so. They seemed fairly adamant about using one switch for each breaker panel.

It would take extra equipment to go with a single transfer switch. Not to mention the outrageous increase in cost.

I see, greater than 200 amps. Wouldn’t have guessed that seeing one panel says small 120v loads.

My house has 400amp service available, but my panel is only 200 amps.

I see, greater than 200 amps. Wouldn’t have guessed that seeing one panel says small 120v loads.

My house has 400amp service available, but my panel is only 200 amps.
That's odd to only utilize half. Maybe, they were planning for future expansion.

It is (was) a duplex. It had two meters and the old panels were 100amps.

Because I am installing solar, I got rid of one meter, made the main panel 200amps and the other a 100amp sub.

I have no idea when power company upgraded home to 400 amp service. But that is what they told me I have coming into the house.

Not to mention the outrageous increase in cost.
Yeah, why is 400 amp equipment so expensive? Does anyone have a good source of reasonably priced 400A enclosures, panels, breakers, and/or safety switches?

Back