diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid Cabin in Alabama!

SandersJR

I am currently building a 20x28 cabin. I am debating between a 12v system and a 24v system. my appliances will run off LP, so I am really just using solar for lights and charging ports, and maybe a fan or two. I am a novice at best, what would you fellas recommend?

I am a novice at best, what would you fellas recommend?
Do an energy audit to figure out how many watt hours you use in a day.

From there we can figure out how much solar array you need. And to figure out how much battery you need we will also need to know how much of your use is after solar charging hours and how many days you need to run without sun (cloudy/rainy day reserve).

if your budget conscious , for you usage would start with one 300 watt panel , one charge controller and1- 2 100ah agm batterys and a 1000-2000 watt inverter.
yes you can add up every detail but this simple setup will get you in the game and you can fine tune it from there.

My first system was 12V. I got rid of it because the performance was so pathetic. If you go with at least 24V, then the choices widen substantially over what 12 can over. Whole house wiring, split-phase, generator to inverter charging, grid-connections, ect. I think that 12V should be limited to things with wheels.

My first system was 12V. I got rid of it because the performance was so pathetic. If you go with at least 24V, then the choices widen substantially over what 12 can over. Whole house wiring, split-phase, generator to inverter charging, grid-connections, ect. I think that 12V should be limited to things with wheels.
I guess that is where I am getting stuck. I am only using this for lights and charging ports. My appliances will be LP. Did you have to re-wire your cabin?

I guess that is where I am getting stuck. I am only using this for lights and charging ports. My appliances will be LP. Did you have to re-wire your cabin?
Originally for my first 12V system, I just had some extension cords coming off the inverter. Later, I wired my whole cabin for standard AC only. For my first generation system I simply plugged an electrical cord into the 12V inverter, and led that directly to my main electrical box. It worked, sort of. Lights would flicker, and I really had to focus on not overloading the system.

When I switched to 48V, I bought a hard-wire split-phase inverter that the output goes straight into the main panel. Now it's totally transparent. The cabin now has refrigeration, a washing machine, and air-conditioning, all the perks of having a higher voltage system. I'm also using propane for cooking and hot water.

I would still recommend 24V, even though your loads are very modest now. Then later, when you wish you could expand, you can gradually add more panels, bigger batteries, larger inverter, ect; one by one as your budget allows.

for lights and charging ports , 12v is fine. ya if you wanna run inverter and 120v things then go 48 volt , no brainer,

Back