diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid cabin in central Ontario

dbuckles

I now have a design for Cabin in remote location central Ontario. Comments?

SOLAR IRADIANCE (Facing south-south west (22.5 degrees) kWh/m2/day panel set at 59 degree angle: June 5.41; July 5.31 Aug 4.81 Sept 3.95

Energy audit:
  • 10 cubic foot fridge, 600 Wh/24 hrs, operation July 1 to end of September only
  • Fireplace insert fan 1.2 A) (mainly in September)
Design:

Solar Panels: 3 x QCELL-335-60BLK

Controler: OutBack FLEXmax 80

Inverter/Charger: Kisae KI-SW2012-55 Sine Wave

Battery Pack: 6 x PH-225 solar battery

Small generator for top up

Fireplace insert fan: 1.2A @ 120VAC? How many hours/day? 24?

335W * 3 = 1,005W -> 4.0kWh/day total energy in Sep.

FM-80: 12V * 80A = 960W - close enough to capture your solar.

225Ah * 6V * 6 = 8.1kWh, 4.05kWh usable

The inverter appears to be a quality unit, but it appears to be substantially over-powered for the application. It likely uses something on the order of >20W continuous draw just being turned on. 20W * 24h = 480Wh.

So, 1080Wh between fridge and inverter.
1.2A * 120VAC = 144W

Worst case, 144W * 24h = 3.5kWh

You're at about 4.5kWh/day if the fan is 1.2A@120VAC and you run the fan 24h/day.

Your system is slightly undersize based on the filled-in blanks from the incomplete energy audit. The choice of a 2kW inverter is 2kW is not needed and may be wasteful.

Thanks. The fireplace insert fan will only run 4 hours a day, at most, in September. Want a design that I can increase in time, with a few extra lights. Maybe to recharger a trolling motor in a few years time.

Welcome to the Forum, quite a few of us in Ontario here, I'm an off-gridder up near Algonquin Park, livin the life ;).

Welcome to the Forum, quite a few of us in Ontario here, I'm an off-gridder up near Algonquin Park, livin the life ;).
Thanks Steve. Can you recommend sources for components, preferably in Ottawa?

Thanks. I'm still uncertain about whether to go for AGM or Lithium battery system, for summer use in a remote Cdn. context. What should I read to help make this decision? Daniel

LFP is the better value when you're looking at cycle life. If you expect the batteries to be cycled daily, then LFP is the better value. If the system will be lightly cycled or in standby for long periods of time (little use), AGM is likely the better value. If LFP is going to be stored for long periods of time, it should be discharged to 40-50% or so.

If the batteries will be in freezing temps routinely, that will impact your ability to charge LFP, and AGM might make more sense.

AGM just like FLA you can only use 50% of the capacity, so a max DOD of 50% without causing damage.
LFP like the same temperatures we humans do, does not like cold. They can discharge to -10C but cannot even start trickle charge till at 0C and then only limited till above 10C in temp. LFP can be inside with you if you want. Myself, I have a separate powerhouse/pumphouse which is heated by a recovered Direct Vent RV Furnace that uses LPG & only needs 12V to run set to 15C for that building (the building is hyper insulated).

NB: I built my own LFP Battery Packs & Bank while I still have my 865AH Lead Acid battery bank as secondary power.
I am running 24V System, using EVE-280AH Cells from Luyuan Tech (Amy Wan), a Chargery BMS8T-300 (24V 8S BMS with 300A Shunt) & a Chargery DCC-300 (Solid State Smart Contactor - 300A)

Links are Blue. Chargery Links MAY error on certificate depending on browser.

Back