diy solar

diy solar

Off grid cabin with no solar but deep cycle batteries and generator. Parts checklist

Since the inverter probably does not have a nema 50A female receptacle, I would unwire the female inlet box from the breaker panel, wire that to the inverter input (leave the male plug plugged, no change needed), then wire output of the inverter to the 30A DPDT Main. This seems simpler. I suspect this is what tim meant.

Last edited:
Simplest way is to move the male end from the panel to the input of the inverter. And connect the output of the inverter to the breaker, in the panel.

Male end of Honda 4 prong plug to input of the inverter ?

Panel is dead without 240v/30amp power from the Honda.

Male end of Honda 4 prong plug to input of the inverter ?

Panel is dead without 240v/30amp power from the Honda.
The all in one inverter has a (in you’re case 220v input and a 220v output. If you wire the cord from your generator into the input side of the inverter and the output side of the inverter into your service panel the inverter will pass through into the device panel when the generator is running and switch over to inverter power when the generator is turned off. Many of the all in one inverters can be configured to automatically start the generator when the batteries reach a preset discharge and turn off when the batteries reach full charge. I have never done that but I know it is a thing.

The male end of the cord should plug into the generator. The other end of this cord, should be wired into the input of the inverter. The output of the inverter should be wired to the panel.
Using the male and female, the other way around is unsafe. A male end should never be hot/live unless it's plugged into a live receptacle.

If this is the type of receptacle you have wired to the panel

SIKADEER 50 Amp Generator Inlet Box, NEMA SS2-50P Power Inlet Box, 125/250 Volt, 12500 Watts Generator Transfer Switch for 3 Prong Generator Cord, ETL Listed, Waterproof with Indicator Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09K7JY2Z6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HG2DK8J723WYZ0AZQY7E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

then unwire it from the panel, wire it to the input of the inverter. Then wire the output of the inverter to the breaker.
Do not cut your 50A cable end. This is both safe and code approved.

If this is the type of receptacle you have wired to the panel

SIKADEER 50 Amp Generator Inlet Box, NEMA SS2-50P Power Inlet Box, 125/250 Volt, 12500 Watts Generator Transfer Switch for 3 Prong Generator Cord, ETL Listed, Waterproof with Indicator Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09K7JY2Z6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HG2DK8J723WYZ0AZQY7E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

then unwire it from the panel, wire it to the input of the inverter. Then wire the output of the inverter to the breaker.
Do not cut your 50A cable end. This is both safe and code approved.

I have a 4 prong inlet box (the link is for 3). But yes, similar type, mine also is 30amp since that is the Honda and I only use at max 24-25 amps since all systems, motors, compressors, pumps are DC inverters

Too bad there is not a simple quick connection that would use existing couplers.

Also mistakenly reversed the existing Honda to wall inlet box plugs, generator end has Male plug and Inlet box on wall has Female plug

Too bad there is not a simple quick connection that would use existing couplers.

Also mistakenly reversed the existing Honda to wall inlet box plugs, generator end has Male plug and Inlet box on wall has Female plug
It is a simple connection. The inverter goes between the generator inlet box, and the panel.
But first, you need to correct the inlet to male.

I have a 4 prong inlet box (the link is for 3). But yes, similar type, mine also is 30amp since that is the Honda and I only use at max 24-25 amps since all systems, motors, compressors, pumps are DC inverters

Yeah, there's a plethora of different types of NEMA connectors and I won't pretend to know them all (or even a few), but I know enough to search out what's needed and to say that if you already invested in the component, then you may as well make use of it presuming it is the correct stuff. What do you mean you reversed the honda to wall inlet plugs?

I used wrong terminology when I called it the female box for the panel connection side. My mistake. I will go back and correct that to avoid confusion.

You dont need any quick couplers or extra plugs. The growatt will do "Grid pass through". (in your case generator pass through)

So inverter hard wired to pannel. Generator hard wired to inverter. No extension cord ends need to be plugged/unplugged to switch the house from inverter/battery power to generator power. In fact it will make this handoff quick enough that your lights wont fickler and computers stay on.

You can also look at moving to an auto start generator as the growatt supports commanding a generator start at a programed low battery voltage.

No solar panels in this initial plan/setup.

The goal here is to run everything off the batteries and inverter and use generator to recharge batteries.
Currently generator is connected via a manual DPDT 30 amp breaker to outside panel which powers everything.
Would like to move that setup to have batteries/inverter handle the connection.

Is this a complete parts list needed

1 x Honda eu7000isnan generator (already purchased and in use)
1 x 3000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger
3 x 12 Volt 170Ah Lithium-Iron Phosphate Battery
1 x 20A 240V AC to DC Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery Charger

1/0 AWG wire

Max power observed when running everything under pure generator load (heatpumps, refrigeration, lights, kitchen appliances including induction burners, hot water) is under 2,800 watts with peak power logged. Hot water is switched from 240v/4,500w to 120v/1,125w using a 3 way switch. Heatpumps and appliances are all 240v.

Estimated total cost for everything excluding the generator about $4,000

What is missing ?
I’m thinking this is gonna be a Net Zero kinda thing.

If generator ran 24/7 then you would use X amount of energy.

If you had batteries you would still use that amount of energy and it would take the generator the same amount of time to replace it??

I get that he's working toward solar, and I think he's trying to break it into smaller pieces to more easily wrap his head around it. He should let the folks here help him wrap his head around it so he can get the real benefits even more quickly.

I’m thinking this is gonna be a Net Zero kinda thing.

If generator ran 24/7 then you would use X amount of energy.

If you had batteries you would still use that amount of energy and it would take the generator the same amount of time to replace it??
Actually a generator has better efficiency if under a load he will see some savings from the get go and with a AIO he can just add solar as he can.

I get that he's working toward solar, and I think he's trying to break it into smaller pieces to more easily wrap his head around it. He should let the folks here help him wrap his head around it so he can get the real benefits even more quickly.
Seems to me he would be Better off to get some panels instead of the generator.

Unless there is some reason I missed why he can’t??

The batteries would be the biggest cost.

Could run direct Solar during day and Gen at night and not buy batteries??

The other way just seems like spending money for no benefit????

Actually a generator has better efficiency if under a load he will see some savings from the get go and with a AIO he can just add solar as he can.
Perhaps but it seems negligible to me.

Seems to me he would be Better off to get some panels instead of the generator.

Unless there is some reason I missed why he can’t??

The batteries would be the biggest cost.

Could run direct Solar during day and Gen at night and not buy batteries??

The other way just seems like spending money for no benefit????
He already has the generator. That said, its an excellent source of backup power. The sun isnt always guaranteed to be shining. Still, rather than breaking this into smaller pieces the way he's doing (its a good approach) he should get the overall plan, and then break the plan into smaller pieces. Perhaps this will be what he ends up doing.

It is a simple connection. The inverter goes between the generator inlet box, and the panel.
But first, you need to correct the inlet to male.

What I meant was to write that indeed, the existing Inlet Box is male and the plug coming from Honda end is female, NEMA twistlock type

Could be in the middle of a forest and no sun. hard to make solar with no sun. Regardless its what the guy wants to do sobeit.
Have to be the Amazon to get no sun but it’s his money if he wants to waste it.

Back