diy solar

diy solar

Off grid cabin with no solar but deep cycle batteries and generator. Parts checklist

Yeah, there's a plethora of different types of NEMA connectors and I won't pretend to know them all (or even a few), but I know enough to search out what's needed and to say that if you already invested in the component, then you may as well make use of it presuming it is the correct stuff. What do you mean you reversed the honda to wall inlet plugs?

I used wrong terminology when I called it the female box for the panel connection side. My mistake. I will go back and correct that to avoid confusion.

The error may be on my description and poor writing. Here is the summary: The Honda 30amp faceplate has a Male adapter plug-in slot and the existing NEMA wire has a male plug that connects to the Honda inverter "face". The other end of the existing NEMA twistlock connection is female and that female plug connects to a Male Inlet Box on the wall. My apologies.

Last edited:
What I meant was to write that indeed, the existing Inlet Box is male and the plug coming from Honda end is female, NEMA twistlock type
Then, you should be good to go.
Have fun, and be safe.

The error may be on my description and poor writing. Here is the summary: The Honda 30amp faceplate has a Male adapter plug-in slot and the existing NEMA wire has a male plug that connects to the Honda inverter "face". The other end of the existing NEMA twistlock connection is female and that female plug connect to a Male Inlet Box on the wall. My apologies.
You got the right stuff. Use it.

I’m thinking this is gonna be a Net Zero kinda thing.

If generator ran 24/7 then you would use X amount of energy.

If you had batteries you would still use that amount of energy and it would take the generator the same amount of time to replace it??

Yes, true.

As I get it working, panels may come into play. Or wind. Or hydro. Have lots of options.

The internals were converted over several years into DC systems (pumps, motors, compressors) so "that" was the huge and long process. Now the final step is conversion on the power outside.

Yes, true.

As I get it working, panels may come into play. Or wind. Or hydro. Have lots of options.

The internals were converted over several years into DC systems (pumps, motors, compressors) so "that" was the huge and long process. Now the final step is conversion on the power outside.
Ok this makes more sense.

Have you looked at a DC generator?

I have a Alpha 36/48 DC generator.
It’s quiet and would charge your batteries at about half the fuel cost of converting AC to DC through an inverter or CC.

Just a thought.

Don’t have any experience with wind as it’s not consistent enough here.

Micro hydro would be nice if you have the stream for it.

Good luck with whatever you choose!!

Perhaps but it seems negligible to me.
I use a system with my rv. I have 100 ah @ 48v of lifepo4 batteries. We camped late into the fall boondocking until just before thanksgiving. This last few weeks were heavy overcast and rainy with very few hours of daylight so the solar was nearly useless most days. My experience was that the number of hours I needed to run the generator about 4 to 6 hours a day for our use. Otherwise it’s 12 hours or more and the inconvenience of starting the generator if we need power in the night. Technically the amount of electricity consumption is actually less using only the generator but the inefficiency of a generator running for hours at a small fraction of its output far outweighed those facts. That said adding solar into the mix really improves the picture dramatically.

Last edited:
Back