diy solar

diy solar

Off-grid "Compound"

UPDATE:

Done:
  1. Un-winterized and fully re-winterized the 5th wheel.
  2. Consumed about 15# of propane in about 24 hours
  3. Woke up to 8°F
  4. WTF battery DoD moment
  5. Installed a high altitude jet kit for the Predator in hopes of smoothing out its output frequency.

Things to do:
  1. Setup remote control of electric water heater - can't find an inline unit that can handle the amps, so the plan is to cut the wires coming out of the breaker box, install male/female plugs on the ends and insert a 15A wifi plug (same I use on fridge) and have it come on every day around noon for a couple hours.
  2. Same as last time.

Another weekend out at the ranch. 30 mph winds and snow Saturday with a Sunday morning low of 8°F. This little video was taken by the blink cam around 6:30pm Sat:

Did the new main jet in the Predator help the output frequency?

1607921971229.png

Not according to the above, BUT while the Hz looks a little worse, the power output was a little higher and much more consistent, so perhaps some good was done?

WTF?! battery moment:

1607922142557.png

The furnace ran almost all night long. A heated throw and my CPAP weren't helping either. A bit over 200W most of the night. Yep... 29.8% SoC. I have this set pretty conservatively in terms of battery capacity - way less than the 300Ah rated. Low voltage was 47.4 under a 6A load. Probably not as low as 30%, but definitely under 50%. NOT pretty. Saturday was cloudy, and we arrived about an hour later than usual, so we had less sun to work with. The genny run didn't do a ton, but I'm glad I did it!

3kW array is charge throttled due to limited capacity - can only accept 30A charging, so I generally can't charge with more than 1700W. I played a game of steal from the sun by watching the charge current and turning stuff on - water heater, 500W space heaters, etc. Managed to see close to 2700W steady production near peak solar - that's about 90% of rated with panels tilted at year round optimal and sun near winter-worst. Yes, cold helped, but dang... I'm tickled.

1607923440834.png

The big dips are when things cycled off and production dropped to the charge current.

Wife enjoyed her new one-handed chainsaw. I saw it as a silly thing, but she was carnage incarnate to the unsuspecting junipers. We have a few we want to clear, and we have some that are crowding out the Pinon Pines - like growing out of them - those parasites must go!

EDIT: BEFORE
1608266041905.png

AFTER:
1608266063572.png

This wasn't even 5 minutes.

Re-winterized until our next visit - maybe after Christmas? Little productivity. Lotsa Netflix. Still a great weekend away from the rest of the unwashed masses.

Last edited:
Brrrr looks pretty windy and cold. Those juniper cuts would sure smell good in a fireplace or campfire. Stay warm and safe. ✌️

Thanks!

You're not kidding. Saturday was miserable. The saving grace was that there was ZERO wind on Sunday, so even though it was only in the 20s in the late morning, it was quite tolerable for the chainsaw carnage.

That dark blue shipping container was almost comfortable inside after the sun had been on it a couple hours. I probably could have assembled a couple more battery modules, but I was content with 15 minutes of chainsaw action and a retreat to the propane furnace... :)

Some sort of fire pit is on the agenda. If wife had her way, we'd have a damn wood burning stove in the RV.

Big changes at HBR.

Motorhome went bye-bye:

1619705807507.png

It came back to Mesa to live on the side of the house and serve as an apartment for our oldest, who needed to get out of a bad living situation. It's fully operational with 50A hook-up and the gray water draining to the sewer cleanout, so he can do everything but use the toilet... and that's allowed in an emergency. Don't want to get out the macerator pump any more often than is necessary.

Replaced with a 2007 Keystone Montana Big Sky:

1619705981359.png

Four slides, monster fridge, full king sleep number mattress... it's like a fricken mansion, and we thought the old Newmar was nice.

Very little progress has been made. The last visit was the first time I didn't winterize upon leaving, and we've basically been using it as a get-away, not as a get-back-to-the-project situation.

Have enabled remote control of the new fridge, and the electric water heater in the old unit, so it's nice to have hot water upon arrival.

Still in the "discovery" phase of the new 5th wheel. Found a lot of little issues. Some have already been fixed. Some are addressed with a workaround, others are ignored for the time being, but overall, it's a delight, and the price was exceptional.

Technically, I guess I got one thing done on the To do list... the water heater, and there was a lot of effort getting the MH home and the new 5th wheel up there, so I guess it's not all bad.

Things to do (resorted):
  1. Install my studs and plywood backing for the permanent mounting of the hardware.
  2. Insulate the container.
  3. Deploy the second Quattro for 240V split phase - no priority as 4K is plenty for now, but the eventual dwelling will need it.
  4. Re-mount existing panels to remove gaps.
  5. CONTINUE to build my explody-lithium NMC battery (Revised plan: Start with 15S, 28.5kWh)
  6. Vent the generator exhaust OUTSIDE the container.
  7. An endless pile of nit-picky shit I'll never remember all at once
  8. Build a dwelling.

Last edited:
Now I see where all the Panasonic 25 Ah cells went, lol. I love those cells for my 36v. golf cart.

Place looks awesome! I can imagine how peaceful it is. Enjoy it and kudos!

I've been pretty quiet the last few weeks. Trying to let Smoove catch me on post count, and really, come on... 7600+ posts in less than 10 months?

Somebody has a problem, so like most junkies, I had to quit cold-turkey (mostly).

BUT... I finally hit a milestone... I have constructed 14 NMC battery modules... That's 26.6kWh of rated capacity (a little less tested actual). I'm going to do 15S since my Victron is fine with 66V, and I'll be running 3.92V max in most cases. Going to order some copper strip for bus bars, and I just plunked down the money on the Batrium... ouch.

I won't miss the 4S2P T-1275 FLA's, but they have truly served me well and for very little invested. They'll be kept on float 24/7 for backup purposes... :)

Recommendations for "cheap" sources for copper strip are appreciated.

Now I have to give some thought on getting everything configured and physically arranged.

Crazy times.

Back