diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid Farm ~ Mobile Power Cargo Trailer Build: Growatt 12kw Install

With the array, please make sure you understand ... It's 32 panels, in a 4 series 8 parallel configuration. The diagram only shows 4 for representation.

Everything is Labled

Solar in
Solar in.jpg

Main 240v AC Connection Out
AC Main out.jpg

Batteries
Batts.jpg

Inverter and SCC
SCC.jpg
Inverter.jpg

Switch and Victron Shunt
Switch.jpg

Main Panel
Panel.jpg

Trailer AC and Solar In/Out And Generator Charge AC IN
Gen1.jpg
Gen in.jpg

Ok so today I connected the Trailer up to my ENTIRE HOUSE, Turned of the Grid main, and starting firing things up.

2,200 sq ft house, Every light (Big Deal ... Led), Frigh, Preper Freezer, Fans, Indoor Hydro Grow Lights, All outdoor lights, etc. All this drew about 4,000 watts.

Ok, So lets throw some serious on it.

With everthing above still on, The Growatt 12k started my 3 Ton AC, and them my 2 ton AC, no problem.

3 Ton and 2 Ton Together
AC 3 Ton and 1 Ton.jpg

3 Ton and Dryer
AC 3 Ton and Dryer.jpg

But did we Stop there ?? Nooooooooooooo ....

3 Ton , 2 Ton And Dryer .... And it SHUT IT DOWN !!! Yup, after about 15 seconds (just long enough to get a screen shot) started getting lots of warning buzzers. And then .... the Inverter went to output overload - shut down - EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS DESIGNED TO DO !!. And a few minutes later came back on ... as set in the settings. The AC units turned off and did not restart (I turned them off), but the lights and appliances were right back up.

AC 3 Ton 1 ton and dryer.jpg

Over all ... very impressed with the Output of the Growatt 12k Inverter as an Off Grid inverter. It does have its limitations (for example See the very long Growatt 12k Passthrough thread), but for off grid and the AC power output, it seems to be a very good value.

(Disclaimer: Stove is Nat Gas and Waterheater was off)

Last edited:
Again ... here is Part 1 of the Build. I will be releasing Part 2 of the Build in the next few days. I am learning DaVinci Resolve Video Editor So it will be a much better experience

Build Part 1

Last edited:
Part 2 is uploaded. This is my first attempt at DaVinci Resolve 18 video editor. I like it very much.

The Video is A Humorous and Fun look at my DC Connections and 1st Power Up of the Growatt SPF 12kW 250v DVM MPV Inverter. Not a lot on the Build itself in this video, just the power up and explanation of the Main System Switch. Did a bit of lite fun testing too. Part 3 will have more install video were I will be installing the AC connections, cleaning up all the wiring, and installing the In / Out port thru the Trailer wall for the Solar in and 50 amp AC out connections. Building up this Cargo Trailer for an Off Grid Farm with no Grid Power. The 32 Solar Panels are installed on a Pole Barn. Total Solar Wattage is 11,800 watts. The Inverter is rated at 12,000 watts AC output with a 36,000 watt surge capacity Hope you Enjoy the Build

Part 2: Off Grid Cargo Trailer Build

Last edited:
Just Finished up the Part 3 Video of the Off Grid Cargo Trailer Build. It's so fresh the video might still be processing at YouTube.

Installing the AC Wiring

Build Part 3

Last edited:
The Off Grid Farm Location for the Cargo Trailer is coming along nicely. We hope to move the Cargo Trailer out there just after the first of the year.

Trailer is done, except I have had a very hard time with the SCC. It kept doing a voltage run away higher than setting for Bulk/Absorb. It would stop sending current to the batteries, but the voltage would just go and go until it hit Over Voltage Protection in the BMS and the BMS would shut off charging. NOT IDEAL

Anyway, got a new SCC that should arrive in the next few days (hopefully that will be the problem), and once installed we are near ready to move the trailer out to the farm.

I plan to start building the roof pass thru boxes in the next few day. These will get sealed to the roof under solar panels to allow the cables to come thru the roof. Plan to finish them up friday and take them down for the guys to pull the wire and install the boxes on the roof.

Roof Box 1.jpg

Roof Box 2.jpg

FARM IS COMING TOGETHER NICELY TOO

From this:
ABarn2.jpg

To Now this:
Farm1.jpg

Farm6.jpg

Farm3.jpg

WE'LL PARK THE TRAILER HERE UNDER THIS LEAN TO.

Looking good!

I'll be interested in hearing the results of the SCC replacement. So far so good with my 6k Growatts integrated SCC, the runaway voltage problem hasn't returned. I've been working on the second battery box but stopped preparations to swap out the 6k for the 12K I bought because that will involve shutting down the system and they're saying power outages are likely in my area with this polar storm coming in.

OK

New SCC installed. 1st one kept doing a Runaway Voltage thing. The new one is definitely newer stock. The manual went from version 1.0 to version 1.1

Won't know till I connect the whole array (all 32 panels in a 4s8p configuration, 2 stings on the SCC and 2 stings on the AIO) ... Won't know if it's working correctly until it's all installed. But also plan to connect the SCC to the AIO via cat5 for communication.

In other news, got the 1st of 2 roof boxes done. Just have to crimp on the MC4 connectors. I think these will work out well

box2.jpg
box1.jpg

Last edited:
Well the Install at the Off Grid Farm is Finally done, and the Farm is getting finished up in the next few weeks. Still dialing in the Growatt Gear. That is some very different Stuff than say Schneider Conext and Midnite Solar Classics (that I have at home). Very unpredictable in what it does with the sun and resting and charging etc.

t has taken me several months, a lot of trouble shooting, some SCC returns, and hair loss to finally get it kinda dialed in. I tried to get them to go Schneider or Victron ... or now even Midnite with the new Rosie (that I'm told will be stackable in the next month). They wanted to dip their toe first. And we did. But now they want to start over, with probably Victron. Mostly because the Growatt 12k can't be stacked and their needs have changed dramatically since we first sketched this system out on the back of a napkin 18 months ago.

That said we plan to stress test the Growatt Gear here in the next few weeks to its max to see how close it gets to their needs. But here is a few pics of where we are now. (I am working on the Install video now) The trailer as a concept has exceeded expectations and we'll probably keep it and the Growatt as a backup, mobile power situation.

The Farm is really not a Farm. Well it is, but the plan is to turn it into a fully off grid Event Venue. We already have 13 Brides looking to schedule weddings and pushing us for dates. The property is 10 acres with some cows, and pole barn and a tractor.

THE FARM
The Farm.JPG

THE INSTALL.
The Trailer gets parked under a lean to and power from the array comes in to AIO PV 1 / PV 2 and SCC PV1 / PV2 via 4 #8/2 SOOW cables connected via 50amp Anderson Connectors. AC power is returned to the building via 50amp 240v split phase RV cable. This goes into a service panel for the building.

IMG_20230128_144027.jpg

IMG_20230128_143734~2.jpg

IMG_20230126_170410.jpg

COMBINER BOXES 4 IN / 2 OUT X 2 ENDED UP IN THE LOFT
Not the prettiest, but it gets the job done

IMG_20230128_143830~2.jpg
IMG_20230126_160417.jpg

WELL IS DRILLED / PUMP INSTALLED / TESTED
Pump runs at just under 1900 watts. Growatt 12k starts it effortlessly.

IMG_20230128_144007.jpg

THE FULL PROJECT IS COMING ALONG NICELY AND WE HOPE TO BE DONE IN THE NEXT MONTH OR LESS

received_724826672570114.jpeg

IMG_20230128_143846~2.jpg
IMG_20230128_143449~2.jpg

I'll Try and post the video Install Tour in about a week. I'll probably do a stress test video and a final video once the Venue is completed.

Thanks for Following along and all the help and suggestions (see my other trouble shooting posts over the past year ?)

Mike

Last edited:
I finally had the chance to edit the farm install and overview video today. I'll post it up here soon

Last edited:
The Lights are on At the Farm !! ?

Starting to realize my video footage from a few weeks ago is starting to look dated.

We were out at the Off Grid Farm last night for a family get together and over night stay. As an event venue it's getting close to opening.

Growatt 12kW has preformed well. Dialed in. The other day we Stress tested to 8000+ watts with multiple saw and pump surges. No problem.

But here it is last night with the lights on. Only 6% of the inverter capacity for the lights and 12,000 BTU mini split AC Heat Pump.

received_167195652844282.jpeg

received_954945255940141.jpeg

received_1266732157554030.jpeg

12,000 BTU AC InStalled:

IMG_8360_20230315_095010.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a Quick Little Short I threw together from yesterdays progress

Last edited:
Nice install! I’ve been thinking about moving my system from the garage into a trailer I can park next to my pole barn solar array (16kW). I’m concerned about hanging two 200lb spf 12k inverters on a trailer wall. Did you get any specs on the load rating for the trailer walls?

Nice install! I’ve been thinking about moving my system from the garage into a trailer I can park next to my pole barn solar array (16kW). I’m concerned about hanging two 200lb spf 12k inverters on a trailer wall. Did you get any specs on the load rating for the trailer walls?
Did not, but it is 1 inch welded steel square tubing. And we only have 1 inverter.

An alternative might be the new EG4 18k pv unit. No where near the weight.

Well the Install at the Off Grid Farm is Finally done, and the Farm is getting finished up in the next few weeks. Still dialing in the Growatt Gear. That is some very different Stuff than say Schneider Conext and Midnite Solar Classics (that I have at home). Very unpredictable in what it does with the sun and resting and charging etc.

t has taken me several months, a lot of trouble shooting, some SCC returns, and hair loss to finally get it kinda dialed in. I tried to get them to go Schneider or Victron ... or now even Midnite with the new Rosie (that I'm told will be stackable in the next month). They wanted to dip their toe first. And we did. But now they want to start over, with probably Victron. Mostly because the Growatt 12k can't be stacked and their needs have changed dramatically since we first sketched this system out on the back of a napkin 18 months ago.

That said we plan to stress test the Growatt Gear here in the next few weeks to its max to see how close it gets to their needs. But here is a few pics of where we are now. (I am working on the Install video now) The trailer as a concept has exceeded expectations and we'll probably keep it and the Growatt as a backup, mobile power situation.

The Farm is really not a Farm. Well it is, but the plan is to turn it into a fully off grid Event Venue. We already have 13 Brides looking to schedule weddings and pushing us for dates. The property is 10 acres with some cows, and pole barn and a tractor.

THE FARM
View attachment 135080

THE INSTALL.
The Trailer gets parked under a lean to and power from the array comes in to AIO PV 1 / PV 2 and SCC PV1 / PV2 via 4 #8/2 SOOW cables connected via 50amp Anderson Connectors. AC power is returned to the building via 50amp 240v split phase RV cable. This goes into a service panel for the building.

View attachment 135081

View attachment 135082

View attachment 135083

COMBINER BOXES 4 IN / 2 OUT X 2 ENDED UP IN THE LOFT
Not the prettiest, but it gets the job done

View attachment 135085
View attachment 135087

WELL IS DRILLED / PUMP INSTALLED / TESTED
Pump runs at just under 1900 watts. Growatt 12k starts it effortlessly.

View attachment 135084

THE FULL PROJECT IS COMING ALONG NICELY AND WE HOPE TO BE DONE IN THE NEXT MONTH OR LESS

View attachment 135088

View attachment 135090
View attachment 135091

I'll Try and post the video Install Tour in about a week. I'll probably do a stress test video and a final video once the Venue is completed.

Thanks for Following along and all the help and suggestions (see my other trouble shooting posts over the past year ?)

Mike
I have been totally off-grid since January 25th! Over our heads in building a power shed, etc. We are now at the point of install of our system. So I have been reviewing our conversation and love the new photos which I am just seeing. Hope it is finished.

Back