diy solar

diy solar

Off-grid home and small fabrication shop on solar + generator

Troubleshooter

Please bear with me as I figure this out. We're making a move to a property that will be completely off-grid (the cost of running power line is roughly $20k), so I am 99% decided to just go with a solar system. I understand the principles, however my only experience with off-grid power is running a 4kW generator to my travel trailer. Our requirements for the house are fairly simple and besides a well pump I don't anticipate any large load on the system. Here's the twist, currently I have a few fabrication tools in the shop that I'd like to find a way to use. I want to size my inverters to be able to run my 220v welder, 220v plasma cutter and a large 80 gallon air compressor (Everything is single phase 240v). Plasma cutter and the air compressor would need to be able to run simultaneously. This is not a full time production operation, most of my work is small custom fabrication for offroad vehicles.

My plan is to get a 48v system, with about 5kW of panels, 8kW inverter and 200Ah of batteries, and a backup generator, that I would just turn on manually prior to running anything in the shop. Would my plan work? I specifically need recommendations for all-in-one inverter/controllers.

Back