diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid House conversion from wet cell to lithium battery bank

HappyValleySolar

I have a 5K off grid home system with 3 Outback MX 60 charge controllers (controlling solar panels in 3 different sun areas), a Magnum 4448 inverter and 16 6-volt wet cell batteries wired in series and parallel to make 48 volts. I want to convert my wet cell battery bank to a 48 volt LiFePO4 system with 500 amps (or 5 self contained units in a rack mounted system). Questions: Can I use my existing Outback charge controllers to manage the solar panels? Is it possible to just change the settings on the Outback controllers to the correct voltages? What are the wiring suggestions and Rack suggestions for combining 5 48 volt LiFePO4 battery systems? Which 48 volt LiFePO4 batteries are recommended? What Rack is recommended?

I don't know much about the outback products. Someone else will have to answer that part.
I'm using the EG4 server rack battery, from Signature Solar. Was the best quality for price, that I could find. They also offer a rack, that holds 5 or 6 batteries. It comes with built-in bus bars, that makes it very easy to connect everything.

I have a 5K off grid home system with 3 Outback MX 60 charge controllers (controlling solar panels in 3 different sun areas), a Magnum 4448 inverter and 16 6-volt wet cell batteries wired in series and parallel to make 48 volts. I want to convert my wet cell battery bank to a 48 volt LiFePO4 system with 500 amps (or 5 self contained units in a rack mounted system). Questions: Can I use my existing Outback charge controllers to manage the solar panels? Is it possible to just change the settings on the Outback controllers to the correct voltages? What are the wiring suggestions and Rack suggestions for combining 5 48 volt LiFePO4 battery systems? Which 48 volt LiFePO4 batteries are recommended? What Rack is recommended?
Welcome to the party HappyValley.

I bet the answers to your Outback questions are in the manual. I doubt you want to proceed without familiarizing yourself with the information within the manual.

I don't know much about the outback products. Someone else will have to answer that part.
I'm using the EG4 server rack battery, from Signature Solar. Was the best quality for price, that I could find. They also offer a rack, that holds 5 or 6 batteries. It comes with built-in bus bars, that makes it very easy to connect everything.
Thank you timselectric

Your Outback controllers are fine for LiFePO4, adjust according to the cells/BMS you end up getting.

I am curious to the outcome of this. I current want to switch to lithium but Outback is telling me that mx 60 charge controller and my fx inverter isn’t compatible. Me and the battery company checked charge peramiters in my unit and they will go where needed. He asked Outback why no go and they couldn’t give him a reason.

.Here's a link to a YT video.

I am using the SOK 48V 100 amp batteries. 5 wired in parallel. These batteries have their own charge controller. So you set your Outback controllers to a set voltage 57.6 volts in my case and shut down all the lead acid programs so the charge controllers send this set voltage. The SOK battery's built in BMS do the rest.

.Here's a link to a YT video.

I am using the SOK 48V 100 amp batteries. 5 wired in parallel. These batteries have their own charge controller. So you set your Outback controllers to a set voltage 57.6 volts in my case and shut down all the lead acid programs so the charge controllers send this set voltage. The SOK battery's built in BMS do the rest.
That is the flex max controller though . Isn’t it different then the mx controller like we have?

Back