diy solar

diy solar

Off grid house

ghostimage

Hello. I would like to share my project that has started about 7 years ago. My Name is Alex and I came to this country 20 years ago pretty much after Ive graduated from college. (Economics and management major). However I always felt that in my country it was a trend back then, everybody was either economist, lawyer, or finance major. Oh well. I'm only mentioning it to acknowledge that i don't have formal technical education. I have never felt like economics was my cup of tea anyway. I was always interested in making things and having a hands on experience. Hence I am a general contractor in construction now. Ive been doing it for the past 20 years and have learned many trades along the way: framing, finish work, electrical, plumbing etc. And i think I'm pretty happy doing it most of the time lol.

About 7 years ago I had an opportunity to bring my parents here. And with them selling their apartment back home, gave us just enough money to build them a house here. As I had to work with limited budget, "best bang for the buck" was the motto for the project. I'm located in the rural part of NE Pennsylvania. Location not "best" suited for solar. To add insult to the injury the house lot is also located on the north slope of the mountain. In the normal conditions I would have settled for a grid. But the cost of the hook up was a "bit" crazy. I was quoted 50k. - 2500 ft of wooded area to run poles and cable and transformer or two. Needless to say it was not in the budget. So I went with solar. 12 Solarworld 275w sunmodules in two strings of 3S2P feeding two Schneider MPPT 60 150 charge controllers and Xantrex 3024 inverter with 120v single phase 30a. My battery bank was 8 12v AGM 255ah Apex batteries 2S4P for total of 1020ah. Not enough to run everything your heart desires but with certain considerations and few sacrifices just good to have all basic amenities. Things that that system would power are: refrigerator, well pump (120v grundfos 10g/m with 300f deep well), on demand waterheater, washing machine, tv and small computer, tons of lights and some other small 120v miscellaneous stuff like hairdryer and toaster. I also had a small 3500w generator to keep my batts charged during our short winter days.

Overall I was very happy with the setup. It performed with in my expectations and sometimes exceeded them. For seven years I hardly had any issues with it. I discount my parents ignorance to system capability. Well, lol, they are seniors with zero off grid experience, so my mom would sometimes push the inverter to the infinity and beyond. No matter how much Ive tried to specify that it is not grid tied and has it limitations. I don't think it ever sunk in lol. I don't blame them though, they are old school.

Last winter however my Inverter gave up. I think its Communication board crapped. The inverter would pass through AC from the generator to the panel but would not run of the Batt bank. I could not see it in the SCP and red light on the inverter would not go away no matter what ive tried. (spoke to xantrax tech service and no solution). The inverter was out of warranty with closest repair center 3h away in NJ and repeir estimate of 400-500$ for the part alone not including the repair cost. I was going to replace the Control board myself if the guy would order it for me. But everything considered I figured its time for an upgrade.

After some consideration Ive decided to go with XW 6848 Pro inverter. Ive already had my SCP, Mppts, So it made sense to stay with Schnider. Plus said inverter had some pretty gnarly specs and a 10y warranty to boot. So one cold March night I fired my genny and went at it. Ive torn apart my batt bank as of now it had to be 48v instead of 24v. That alone took me a good amount of time, those batts are heavy as hell. But when it came time to hang the XW. I realized that heavy could be of a totally different level. I actually tried to get a buddy of mine to come over and give me a hand. But he couldn't make it and given limited time that i had as well i did it myself (never again). After this wonderful midnight heavy lifting session all I had to do was some rough wiring. By the crack of dawn I had the inverter hooked up and running. Because i was press on time i didn't really had a chance to take photos of the progress which i sort of regret as it would be nice for posterity. While i was breaking Batt bank apart to my surprise i found out that my batteries were still in a decent shape for 7yo AGMs. Their resting voltage was about 12.7.5-12.8 between all 8 units. And as much as Id like to get new batt bank (and i will) I figured I'm going to squeeze all i can out of what Ive got.

Anyway I've been fine tuning this system and beside some operator errors here and there it was an outstanding performer. I'm talking strait inverter here. Because by the time summer rolled in I found out that one of my SCC having an issue. Few weeks ago I connected all my solar panels to my second charge controller and everything is functioning as it should. Since I have much more capable inverter and most of the sunny days my array produces way more then the house needs, I have hooked up a 240v, 2000w, 30g water heater to preheat cold supply to my on demand Reem Water Heater. A couple of solid state relays control the 240v line that feeds the WH and disconnect it if Batt volts drop below 52v for 50sec.
I want to give this guy some props as he give a great explanation to how set up a cascading solar dump using thermostat on the water heater. Just brilliant and simple solution.

Ive seen this video floating around a couple of threads but i think it deserves to be exposed.

Things that I've added to my set up so far that i think were useful. As I've mentioned before my battery bank is 48v now, 4S2P 510ah with 255ah or ~12kw usable power. Because i have 4 "cells" per string I have noticed that under load not all of them drain or charge equally. Given they are old batts i figured it is ok but wanted to remedy the situation non the less. So I found this Battery balancer for 48v agm bat banks: POWMR Battery Balancer and installed 2 on each string. That helped thing a ton, all individual batteries now with in 0.1v with in each other. I think its worth 110$ for longevity. Ive also installed 2 desulfators and a cheap battery monitor on each 12v cell. I also installed a Renogy Shunt close to the Batt Terminals for an easy check on my Batt Bank. Im still not sure if the desulfators work but but i don't think the hurt, time will tell. With this few thing though i can see how my batts are doing without checking everything with multi meter. I do understand that the numbers are not exactly accurate but for the ball park it is ok.

Thing that are on the list of future upgrades:

a) another large Solar array. I've already ordered Conext mppt 100 600, and currently looking for some panels to feed it. I would like to have around 5kw worth of panels. I have zeroed on some deals but i think Ill start another thread for that one as i would like some ideas and input on the subject.
b) second XW 6848 pro. - redundancy and increased capacity as i would like to run as much as possible of the system without a need for propane (backup only). I'm still on the fence if i should split my 120v and 240v loads between the two XWs and avoid an unbalanced 240v. It is not too bad now. but my Pump is 120 and so is air compressor. Ive been toying with the idea of getting a 3000w step down transformer to run my heavy 120 loads of of it. Please advise.
c)build a decent size Lifepo4 batt bank. Debating between DIY and prebuild (EG4 etc.) each has is strength and weakness. I might just do both as i already have 2 Seplos 150a 16s BMS. I hear some mixed thing about it. But from what I understand that it is possible to make it talk to my Insight Home or Combox that I also have but don't use anymore as it is obsolete.

Basically that's where I am at right now. I apologize for a long story and any mistakes I've made. English is my second language so please don't judge to harshly. As usual I am open for questions, critiques and suggestions.

Thank you

Sincerely, Alex.

3WFaXTL.jpg

lerklir.jpg

lYrvIDi.jpg

a3NEtgX.jpg

I'm still on the fence if i should split my 120v and 240v loads between the two XWs and avoid an unbalanced 240v.
we have a single XW never worried about this and it's served us well for many years, fwiw

edit: also we diy'd some batteries with seplos bms and it talks fine to insighthome.

Always nice to see an XW in the wild :)
Thank you. It is a very nice upgrade for us. As many people mentioned it before, I don't think it is very Diy friendly but it Is a solid piece of equipment. I just love modularity of it. I don't regret it. And with my xantrex inverter that died out of warranty. 10 year on XW is a comforting touch.

we have a single XW never worried about this and it's served us well for many years, fwiw

edit: also we diy'd some batteries with seplos bms and it talks fine to insighthome.
Great. From what I've gathered it is very reliable. My thoughts are more towards redundancy.
When I lost my Xantrex it was couple of weeks before I got XW. It was very stressful to say the least. I'm in the rural area with no major solar equipment distribution around me. So in case of emergency. I'm stuck with generator. An though it's manageable I would rather have a backup.
I'm glad to hear that you're having seplos bms working well with XW. Any pointers or videos you can suggest for educational purposes. I've seen some but always open for more information.

Great. From what I've gathered it is very reliable. My thoughts are more towards redundancy.
When I lost my Xantrex it was couple of weeks before I got XW. It was very stressful to say the least. I'm in the rural area with no major solar equipment distribution around me. So in case of emergency. I'm stuck with generator. An though it's manageable I would rather have a backup.
I'm glad to hear that you're having seplos bms working well with XW. Any pointers or videos you can suggest for educational purposes. I've seen some but always open for more information.
Dude, I totally get this. Redundancy is always a concern.

Right now we have two MPPT80 charge controllers fed by two separate arrays, so I am happy with that, but I want to order a new XW to have on hand as a standby as I am equally unsure how quickly I could get my hands on one in case of catastrophic failure. Ours is coming up on eight years old, quite the trooper :)

For the batteries I feel like the weak point is the BMS so I have purchased a spare Seplos BMS here that I can swap in, if any one BMS fails - seemed worthwhile insurance for a couple hundred bucks... We have 4 x 280Ah batteries each with their own bms so hopefully it would be unlikely for all to fail at the same time.

Dude, I totally get this. Redundancy is always a concern.

Right now we have two MPPT80 charge controllers fed by two separate arrays, so I am happy with that, but I want to order a new XW to have on hand as a standby as I am equally unsure how quickly I could get my hands on one in case of catastrophic failure. Ours is coming up on eight years old, quite the trooper :)

For the batteries I feel like the weak point is the BMS so I have purchased a spare Seplos BMS here that I can swap in, if any one BMS fails - seemed worthwhile insurance for a couple hundred bucks... We have 4 x 280Ah batteries each with their own bms so hopefully it would be unlikely for all to fail at the same time.
I have ordered 2 bms as well. I'm considering if I should do two 230ah batteries right away or one 280 with adding another down the road. Im getting some quotes from Amy Zheng @ docan for different options. All comes to moneys unfortunately. I probably should get two more bms like you said, just in case.

Little Update.
Got 21 used Qcell 315w monopanels coming from Santan Solar. Should be a nice welcome to my short winter days. Big props to Ethan at Santan, for hooking me up. I was going to get 305w modules but apparently the website had a glitch with the inventory so they upgraded me to 315w free of charge. Score! Got SE Mppt Conext 100-600 that is nice and ready for them. Planning on redoing some wiring as well, as a part of the install.
Also got 16 CATL 280ah cells from docan power. With some info i have unearthed recently, I will have to make some decisions. 2500 bones is a bit of moneys that id rather not gamble with.

Thank you. It's still "Raw". I'm working on adding Lipo bank, and more solar. Also need to tidy up my wireing. And look what showed up yesterday.
20221117_121707_compress75.jpg

Nice to see this! I am also From Pennsylvania. I think a couple of counties West of you in Tioga County. I have found a guy up in Buffalo that normally has things I need, such as panels. and there is suppose to be a company putting in a solar warehouse somewhere in New Jersey! That will be real convenient for us in the North East USA. It may be a 4 or 5 hour drive to NJ and 2 1/2 to Buffalo for me, but it is still better than these shipping charges!

Howdy neighbor! Yes its hard to find anything around this parts. I think I know which outfit you are talking about. Solarsteals supposed to have a second warehouse in NJ. I was going to take a ride there once they opened. But got a great deal on Qcells from Santan. So that what I went with.
True the cost of shipping is a killer.

Well, some updates:

It was a busy several weeks. I finally got my second solar array operating. It was a bit of a hassle to build by myself and a help of my mother lol. And it was helpful. Big cudos to her. The array is set back and facing about 10 degrees more south west to catch a bit more sunset compared to my older array. Its also a bit bigger. 5040w vs 3300w powered by 16 - 8sx2p mono Qcell qpeak duo modules.

I mentioned before that I got an upgrade from Santan solar. But it turned out there was a catch. Out 21 panels ordered 19 were 315 Qcell duo. And 2 305 Qcell g4. So after using 16 for my new array. I have leftover. I'm going to build another smaller array with 2sx2p and have 1 Qcell duo left as a spare. I'm going to feed it into my troublesome mppt 60 150.

Also did some rewiring and cable management in the electrical room. Please don't hate the rgb backligh. I runs of 1000w goal zero agm generator. So no parasitic loads here. Plus my daughter loves the looks. She thinks a unicorn lives behind my inverter ?.

I have also added a combiner box to my old array. Some wire management needs to be done, however it is left for a warmer day.

I'm almost done with top balance of my diy 280ah lifepo battery (It takes forever with 50a worth of charge). Got a Schneider SW4048 coming to pair with it. It has to work for now as another XW is out of the budget at the moment. I'm still trying to brainstorm in which way to hook it all together for the best use if anyone had some thoughts, ideas ?, suggestions ?. I'm more than willing to consider. here is My strategy thoughts thread
concerning current scenario. 20221222_091838_compress59.jpg20221222_091856_compress8.jpg20221222_092211_compress2.jpg
Thank you for all the likes and comments.

Attachments

• 20221222_092326_compress68.jpg
    20221222_092326_compress68.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 10
I've got my SW4048 hooked up today. It is a mixed success. But I got it working. I will have to do some more tweaking to get it right. But it seems like it would be a good solution to utilizing both battery banks.
Still have to rewire one mppt 60 150 to support sw/Lifepo4 setup. Will tackle that in a next day or two. Also would like to put remaining 4 panels to use. It seems we about to have a late December thaw coming. It will be a good opportunity accomplish that task.
20221227_181351_compress34.jpg
20221227_180503_compress45.jpg
Picture of the bms running.

20221227_180823.jpg
Here she is, ugly ? but l love it.
20221227_172349_compress95.jpg
I will work some more on it though. Clean up the wires and such. After reading about a big NO on stuffing multiple wires in one lug( got 3 #4awg into I 2/0 lug) I'm going to put copper bus bars on B+/P+ side of BMS and then bolt 2/0 cables to that. My power draw is hardly exceeds 60amp but better be safe.

Attachments

• 20221227_180823_compress51.jpg
    20221227_180823_compress51.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 13
Back