diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid House

Gix

Hi,

I have bought a land in area called Brasov, in Romania, and it does not have electricity as the road did not reach it. I am trying to do the calculation to see what solar system will fit best to power my 150 sqmter house. I have been watching your videos for some time now and please believe me they are amazing and helpful, but i am still unsure of my calculation and what brand to use for the solar panels and for the batteries.
KWH/MonthwatthoursBackup Storage daysSize of battery bank# BatterySolar Size# of Solar Panel (400W)48V MPP solarmisc
40013,333.33340,000.004020,000.0050$416.67$1,000

as per the above i am calculating a cost of ~57,000$ for the full system, and that using 1000$ lithium batteries, 300$ solar panel and I wanted a MPP solar as it have all the requirements in one box so i cannot do any mistake, and the peek sun hour is 2 as it can get very cold in winter with lots of snow and my area is a mountain area. i used this website to get how many sun hour i would have during the year https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/romania/brasov

i feel that i am calculating something wrong as it cannot be so much expensive to have solar system, and maybe you can give me some pointers on using alternative component that are cheeper and would work perfectly with my requirements.
thank you in advance, looking forward for your reply

Best Regards,

Assuming lifepo4 batteries, for longevity you probably limit your charge/discharge to 80% capacity.
Most of the load is probably going through inverter so you need to account for conversion efficiency and the overhead and the standby draw.
The standby draw varies quite bit between inverters but the conversion efficiency is probably between 80-90%.

Last edited:
yes you are doing something wrong. Not sure where though. If you can get the EVE cells they are 280Ah each it takes 16 to make a 48V
13340 watt hour battery . You would need three of these to make your 3 days of autonomy. so 48 cells at $120.00 each is $5700.00

as for panels i do not know what the price in europe would be but i can get them here all day for $0.33 per watt lets figure $.50 per watt so 20,000 watts would be $10,000

Just quick guessing figure $5000 for charge controllers and another $5000.00 for inverters.

So my total is around $25,000 for complete setup.

But I think if you can plan your energy usage better you can cut your energy usage in half which could cut your system cost in half.

Friend I have made some videos to help. I had no idea how to approach this at first. Now I know what is real. It's not very hard at all. Good luck, ALL THE BEST!

Try to reduce your consumption. Is the cheapest way.

Figure out where you need the power and think about a different way.
The first rule about cheap solar, don't use solar :p

I'm from Germany and have been to Romania beautiful country, so you I know the climate. You should be able to get that electric usage down.
My former 180sqm in Germany we got by with less then 300kwh/ month with 4 people.
And 6KW system there was producing more energy then we need.

In your region every KW produces roughly 1000 kwh / year. So in total you would produce 20.000kwh with the system you describe but only need 4800kwh.

So you are off by 4X

Salutare. si eu sunt din Romania si vreau si eu un sistem off grid si cred ca am gasit ceva ieftin din china. Daca vrei sa discutam pe subiect contacteazaa-ma pe whattsapp. 0774080581.
It would be better if you discussed it on the forum. That way everyone can benefit and fact check.

Back