diy solar

diy solar

Off grid island cabin

Our unfinished off grid camp isn’t on an island but is a 4hr drive away, and biggest thing I’ve learned is to plan slow and try and do one major project a year. Live with how it is and think about projects to improve on it.

First year was a propane fridge and outdoor shower, lol

Last year was plumbing and septic which was such a huge improvement over an out house and portable shower, lol.

We also have a little one, currently 10mo old, and the number of weekend we travelled this year vs previous years is counted on one hand. Apparently kids require lots of stuff and time, it makes it harder to work on projects.

This year we’re getting it spray foam insulated, next year I hope to have more electrical wiring completed in hopes of having more than just my 1500w inverter and 50w panels.
I hear you there! Fortunately I work on a ship so I have months off at a time that give me a bit more opportunity to go down for a couple nights mid week. Long term my goal is to live there for 80% or so from June -September.

I want to complement you on wanting to get your wife a dishwasher. There are those here who think going down to the shore and beating them on a rock or rubbing them with beach sand is what she should do. I told her I thought I had married a dishwasher and informed otherwise. I found it simpler than I had imagined.

I have very little in common with the solar world other than I have PV panels. I not only run almost everything from DC, but run it right from PV panels itself. I have about the same situation off grid. Inverter dedicated for the fridge, another 700W for kitchen appliences like disheasher, and another for the LG clothes washer which has no batteries. All the hot water is from excess PV. I kept a propane HWT for years for emergencies and finally pulled it out after never using it. Still like a gas stove.
The dishwasher was actually there when we purchased the place. If taking the dishes down to the shore to wash them were the case, it wouldn’t be my wife doing it?

A dishwasher is well worth it I find. Less time doing dishes and more time for the important stuff.

Interesting set up you have, it’s really hard to make a call one way or the other, lots of advantages for each.

Wolfe Island Wind Farm is a large wind farm project located on Wolfe Island, Ontario...

I know Canada is a super big place but what about wind, got wind on your island?
We have wind, but the primary time we’ll be using it is the summer months when there’s lots of sun. I have a 4800W generator that I can run if we have several days of rain.

Wind is likely a good option but there are times we won’t be at the island for up to 6 months. I think the simplicity of all solar is likely better but my knowledge on windmills is very little.

With that brief northern lakes season ( Ontario lake country north of TO yah?)
I wouldn't do anything.
You bought it from someone who was already doing what YOU will do.
It worked for them ok?
It will work for you.
Summer vacation getaway.
Decide to LIVE there?
Revisit then.
Spent big $$$ to own it.

I just updated a thread (Link) I started and happened to see this. My cabin is in northern NY a couple hours south of Canada. Sounds like we have similar needs. One suggestion. I also have a water tank that is elevated from the cabin. I do not use the water pump unless I absolutely need it, e.g. showers. Water flow is fine for filling toilet, washing dishes etc.

Would be glad to clarify and/or answer any questions.

With that brief northern lakes season ( Ontario lake country north of TO yah?)
I wouldn't do anything.
You bought it from someone who was already doing what YOU will do.
It worked for them ok?
It will work for you.
Summer vacation getaway.
Decide to LIVE there?
Revisit then.
Spent big $$$ to own it.
I’m in Nova Scotia actually. The people I bought it from were Swiss and only spent a week or so there a year (to my knowledge). It may have worked for them for that short period of time but my family has different needs. My wife needs internet to work from home for example, this greatly increases the time we get to spend there.

Back