diy solar

diy solar

Off grid new build home

G00SE

There’s two O’s in G00SE
Greetings,
I have been lurking this forum on occasion for a year or two. Have spent dozens of hours reading the last few months.
I tend to analysis paralysis most any financial decision until I’m blue in the face.

Last year, we sold our home in suburbia, purchased a ranch and an RV to live in while we build a barndominium

Our barndo materials have arrived, our permits are trickling in, and we are prepping to pour foundation.

We are at 6000ft elevation, northern Arizona with plenty of sunshine and fairly constant breeze/wind

We are installing our own septic, we have a 490ft deep well, and power will consist of solar and propane along with a generator

I’m not able to conduct load tests while building, and frankly likely will not be able to prior to the home completing. We are still accumulating the necessary electrical appliances and scrutinizing each item, but again…don’t have real numbers, just ballpark ideas

What I did do was researched national consumption averages, inquired with my in laws who live in the local area (we were previously 150 miles away at 1200ft elevation and 115 degree summers) and analyze 18 months of power usage in my prior home, calculating peaks and averages, as well as considering different dynamics vs our new home. For example AC needs are far less, whereas heat will be higher

It appears as though we traditionally hovered with an average of 35k/daily. This was a 2 story, 2200sq ft stucco home that was about 20yrs old and positioned front door east. Back door west. I’d love to use half that, but I have no idea if that’s realistic. I do know that I will use substantially less

Our barndo is metal framed, walled, and roofed. Monolithic slab foundation, 6:12 roof pitch, a modest 40x70 enclosed building with 10ft wall height. 40x40 will be climate controlled living and 40x30 is for the shop. So we are have 1600ft living space and 1200ft shop to power

The building is oriented long ways N/S. The south gable end wall has a 12ft roof extension/patio. Our living room is on this wall and has a 12x8 triple sliding door. The goal with the patio was to avoid direct sunlight into the windows during summer and take advantage of the direct radiant heat with lower level sun in the mornings and evenings of winter. The north wall has a door as well to create a natural breezeway in effort to behave similar to how old southern homes were designed when weather is optimal/warm. Moisture barrier and spray foam insulation on all 4 walls and roof. The walls are blue but the roof is a light tan in hopes of reducing additional radiant heat.

Our equipment shed will be roughly 60ft from the home. Due west. The solar array will be immediately in front of (south) the shed. I had hopes of a dual purpose shed. 1 to function as my pump house for my well pump and pressure tank on one side, and the solar inverter and bank on the other. I do have concerns about water proximity so I’d be curious to hear if others have done similar. This would be a well insulated shed with any required temp mitigation. I was thinking a 10x20 or similar sized shed.

I’m planning on running a multi head mini split hvac with 1 head in each of the 3 bedrooms and 1 in the great room area (4 total). Alternatively I’ve been considering running a mini split thru air handler so that in winter time we can circulate air more effectively as the wood stove is located near center of the home.

The shop has a 3hp 60gal air compressor and a Hobart multiprocessor 200 inverter welder.
The range, dryer, and water heater will all be propane and we have a 500 gallon propane tank. We’d like to run a standard residential fridge, dishwasher, washing machine, and chest freezer. Outside of that, id say just typical home power. Family of 4. 2 TVs in the house, 2 gaming PCs, no cable subscription, no fancy countertop appliances outside of the norm, LED bulbs, starlink, etc.
I’d like to plum the generator directly to the tank as well. I was looking at the champion 8.5kw and 12.5kw standby generators but haven’t purchased anything yet. The 8.5 is intriguing as the engine size is roughly half as large and is rated for better fuel consumption

Whew. Sorry for being so wordy. Just adding background/context as much as possible.

For my solar this is what my mind has been thinking and wanted to gain feedback on
I’ve been debating on 2-schneider xw 6848s or a sol ark 15k.
It seems in the end, I’d have similar output capacity with the schneider potentially offering better surge capacity.
Batteries I’ve been on the fence between 8-SOK 48v 100ah and 4 Trophy 220ah
Either way, I think that I’d like to go Lifepo4 and hope to start with 30-40kw of bank
Panels, not picky. Looking for local options. Would hope to find something with wattage of 380+ to minimize the number of panels. Was thinking an array of 10-12k (like 28 410w or 32 380w panels)
The schneider would provide me redundancy and component parts as well in the event something fails.

Does this sound like a feasible/realistic system to meet our needs based on the info above? What would you do different? Any opinions to sway the inverter choice? Cost isn’t significantly different between the two and it seems like one of the most paramount pieces of the puzzle

Our utility shed 8'x16', heated thru winter, houses water (tanks, pumps) and solar gear ... no concerns; I don't have a system that could blow out and spray water in every direction. If you do anticipate this, just work on separation methods within the shed ... occasional spills/flooding would be "ok", but spraying water everywhere would not.

Assuming no grid connection ... your propane/generator will be primary source of power until all solar gear gets in, and will always be a fallback. This is backup for iffy solar days, so size it (& automate it) to recharge battery-bank(s) if solar isn't, and for emergencies or huge power draws (from shop).

Perhaps have two inverters/battery-banks, one for house, one for shop (problems in shop area, running various tools, don't impact the other), and/or feed shop tools with auto-gen-start backing up shop inverter for huge power draws ...

I'd go with SOK, and from the CurrentConnected.com folks right next door to you (sort of) ... with dual battery-banks of field-repairable batteries (a SOK special), you can pull from one system to temporarily fix the other, if needed.

Without calculating out appliances, loads, the only answer I can come up with is oversizing things at the start ... go with TWO of the largest inverters you can afford (again, one for house, one for shop) ... capacity will be there.

Redundancy in all redundant systems ...

Last edited:
Our utility shed 8'x16', heated thru winter, houses water (tanks, pumps) and solar gear ... no concerns; I don't have a system that could blow out and spray water in every direction. If you do anticipate this, just work on separation methods within the shed ... occasional spills/flooding would be "ok", but spraying water everywhere would not.

Assuming no grid connection ... your propane/generator will be primary source of power until all solar gear gets in, and will always be a fallback. This is backup for iffy solar days, so size it (& automate it) to recharge battery-bank(s) if solar isn't, and for emergencies or huge power draws (from shop).

Perhaps have two inverters/battery-banks, one for house, one for shop (problems in shop area, running various tools, don't impact the other), and/or feed shop tools with auto-gen-start backing up shop inverter for huge power draws ...

I'd go with SOK, and from the CurrentConnected.com folks right next door to you (sort of) ... with dual battery-banks of field-repairable batteries (a SOK special), you can pull from one system to temporarily fix the other, if needed.

Without calculating out appliances, loads, the only answer I can come up with is oversizing things at the start ... go with TWO of the largest inverters you can afford (again, one for house, one for shop) ... capacity will be there.

Redundancy in all redundant systems ...
Would you be willing to share a pic of your shed set up.
Thanks for the feedback.
I was really hoping a lil 3hp compressor and small inverter welder wouldn’t cause me to need two separate systems. I don’t mind two inverters but I’d go schneider for sure in that case as I can’t afford two sol arks and personally don’t see the value in spending 15k on two rebranded inverters (sol ark). Nothing against them clearly as I’ve isolated them as a viable option, but I think it’s prudent to have limits lol
I did plan to have my genie set up with auto start and turn on for charging, power, and potentially as an ancillary source of power in combination if possible (I believe I saw a schneider set up do this)

so I think that I’m going to settle on a system with 2 inverters which will rule out the sol ark system as the cost is significant.
Focusing on the schneider and midnite Rosie. It appears the team at midnite has an extensive background and involvement with other robust systems in the past, but the Rosie is still apparently in its infancy.
This leads me towards the schneider but I’m still trying to dive more into the midnite interfacing and remote monitoring capabilities

so I think that I’m going to settle on a system with 2 inverters which will rule out the sol ark system as the cost is significant.
Focusing on the schneider and midnite Rosie. It appears the team at midnite has an extensive background and involvement with other robust systems in the past, but the Rosie is still apparently in its infancy.
This leads me towards the schneider but I’m still trying to dive more into the midnite interfacing and remote monitoring capabilities
The Midnite team has roots all the way back to Trace when referring to inverters, including Trace/Xantrex, Outback and Magnum. The Trace SW series inverters set the standard which others tried to but never equaled. There are plenty of their original Trace inverters still happily doing what they do best. My SW4024 has a surge rating of 12,000 watts, Great charging stats and amazing flexibility. This from an inverter designed back in the 90's.
The Rosie is supposed to be a monster inverter. Wish I needed one. Otoh, The Schnider line is well built and a great value.

Attachments

• DSCF2204.JPG
    DSCF2204.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 13
Alright, I have new questions that I’m hoping aren’t too idiotic ?

If one has a schneider xw pro 6848 or even a midnite Rosie inverter completely off grid is the maximum AC output 6800/7000w continuous respectively? Ie: can one achieve supplemental power above the inverter rating with PV, generator, and/or battery?
It does appear the schneider offers gen assist and I’m sure the Rosie does as well, but I’m more curious about battery and pv added capacity

Essentially: if one had 30min load needs of 12kwh is the only effective way off grid, to do this via a large enough rated inverter or gen assist?

A separate question/comparison I have is the LVX6048 in parallel vs a Growatt 12k mpv

It seems that the Growatt features a more robust surge rating, but is severely limited on PV input. It also does not allow stacking for future growth.
However, it seems potentially less problematic than the 6048 and wouldn’t suffer from unbalance loads nearly as easily. I’ve seen people remedy the inadequate PV input of the Growatt with an additional SCC, but others then have complained about the lack of the two functioning well together

The lvx can take both more wattage as well as nearly twice the voltage, making the array much simpler.

Thoughts?

Edit: lastly, I’ve been stuck in the diy battery section most nights this week learning about the possibilities as some members have encouraged this route vs buying the server style.
So in searching current USA warehouse stock, that 230ah, 280ah, and 304ah cells are selling for similar values.
Is there something that inherently makes one more desirable than the other? It seems 160ah cells were very cheap but none located stateside.
I would be seeking to build ~40kwh/800ah lifepo4 bank. Which in doing the napkin math can work in a multitude of ways with any of the above, mainly determining if one wants to purchase 32, 48, or 64 cells

Greetings,
I have been lurking this forum on occasion for a year or two. Have spent dozens of hours reading the last few months.
I tend to analysis paralysis most any financial decision until I’m blue in the face.

Last year, we sold our home in suburbia, purchased a ranch and an RV to live in while we build a barndominium

Our barndo materials have arrived, our permits are trickling in, and we are prepping to pour foundation.

We are at 6000ft elevation, northern Arizona with plenty of sunshine and fairly constant breeze/wind

We are installing our own septic, we have a 490ft deep well, and power will consist of solar and propane along with a generator

I’m not able to conduct load tests while building, and frankly likely will not be able to prior to the home completing. We are still accumulating the necessary electrical appliances and scrutinizing each item, but again…don’t have real numbers, just ballpark ideas

What I did do was researched national consumption averages, inquired with my in laws who live in the local area (we were previously 150 miles away at 1200ft elevation and 115 degree summers) and analyze 18 months of power usage in my prior home, calculating peaks and averages, as well as considering different dynamics vs our new home. For example AC needs are far less, whereas heat will be higher

It appears as though we traditionally hovered with an average of 35k/daily. This was a 2 story, 2200sq ft stucco home that was about 20yrs old and positioned front door east. Back door west. I’d love to use half that, but I have no idea if that’s realistic. I do know that I will use substantially less

Our barndo is metal framed, walled, and roofed. Monolithic slab foundation, 6:12 roof pitch, a modest 40x70 enclosed building with 10ft wall height. 40x40 will be climate controlled living and 40x30 is for the shop. So we are have 1600ft living space and 1200ft shop to power

The building is oriented long ways N/S. The south gable end wall has a 12ft roof extension/patio. Our living room is on this wall and has a 12x8 triple sliding door. The goal with the patio was to avoid direct sunlight into the windows during summer and take advantage of the direct radiant heat with lower level sun in the mornings and evenings of winter. The north wall has a door as well to create a natural breezeway in effort to behave similar to how old southern homes were designed when weather is optimal/warm. Moisture barrier and spray foam insulation on all 4 walls and roof. The walls are blue but the roof is a light tan in hopes of reducing additional radiant heat.

Our equipment shed will be roughly 60ft from the home. Due west. The solar array will be immediately in front of (south) the shed. I had hopes of a dual purpose shed. 1 to function as my pump house for my well pump and pressure tank on one side, and the solar inverter and bank on the other. I do have concerns about water proximity so I’d be curious to hear if others have done similar. This would be a well insulated shed with any required temp mitigation. I was thinking a 10x20 or similar sized shed.

I’m planning on running a multi head mini split hvac with 1 head in each of the 3 bedrooms and 1 in the great room area (4 total). Alternatively I’ve been considering running a mini split thru air handler so that in winter time we can circulate air more effectively as the wood stove is located near center of the home.

The shop has a 3hp 60gal air compressor and a Hobart multiprocessor 200 inverter welder.
The range, dryer, and water heater will all be propane and we have a 500 gallon propane tank. We’d like to run a standard residential fridge, dishwasher, washing machine, and chest freezer. Outside of that, id say just typical home power. Family of 4. 2 TVs in the house, 2 gaming PCs, no cable subscription, no fancy countertop appliances outside of the norm, LED bulbs, starlink, etc.
I’d like to plum the generator directly to the tank as well. I was looking at the champion 8.5kw and 12.5kw standby generators but haven’t purchased anything yet. The 8.5 is intriguing as the engine size is roughly half as large and is rated for better fuel consumption

Whew. Sorry for being so wordy. Just adding background/context as much as possible.

For my solar this is what my mind has been thinking and wanted to gain feedback on
I’ve been debating on 2-schneider xw 6848s or a sol ark 15k.
It seems in the end, I’d have similar output capacity with the schneider potentially offering better surge capacity.
Batteries I’ve been on the fence between 8-SOK 48v 100ah and 4 Trophy 220ah
Either way, I think that I’d like to go Lifepo4 and hope to start with 30-40kw of bank
Panels, not picky. Looking for local options. Would hope to find something with wattage of 380+ to minimize the number of panels. Was thinking an array of 10-12k (like 28 410w or 32 380w panels)
The schneider would provide me redundancy and component parts as well in the event something fails.

Does this sound like a feasible/realistic system to meet our needs based on the info above? What would you do different? Any opinions to sway the inverter choice? Cost isn’t significantly different between the two and it seems like one of the most paramount pieces of the puzzle

More batteries but good plan. Schneider if better for surge is likely a good consideration we use Trace (t think same company as schneider?) CAUTION. once in a bazillion times your compressors and motors will all hit at once -it will happen. there is the surge that you want to protect from. If you system shuts down from surge its easy to reset....if you are home

Muti split systems have much worst low load efficiency then individual mini splits, bedroom cooling load is very often much less then the smallest head size which will result in comfort issues, and increased energy usage with a head per bedroom. Using a low profile ducted head in ceiling outside of the bedrooms with short ducts to each bedroom is more often the best choice. Before choosing an A/C system you will want to calculate the actual heating and cooling loads, either by a professional doing a Manual J calculation, or doing it your self with the various online tools.

Also you will want a direct vent propane wall furnace that doesn't require electricity, in the house and equipment shed to provide heat, without depending on your power system, or someone being there and able to run the wood stove.

Be sure to verify which versions of the IRC, and NEC codes you will be subject to detrimnie what requirements your pv and energy storage system will be subjected to, most importantly to see if you need UL 9540 listed batteries or not.

Goose. We are off-grid in the Sonoran Desert at 3,000 ft in the Big Bend region of TX. Temps rarely dip below 30 F. Summer temps are 100+ for 4-5 months. Night temps are 25-30 degrees lower than daytime temps. We are snowbirds, leaving for MN during the hot months.

What works for us. FYI we use top tier everything.

We use Big Ass fans over the bed and in the living room. Moving air really helps with the comfort.

We’ve got Mitsubishi mini splits and Rinnai direct vent propane furnaces.

1,000 square ft w-10’ ceilings open floor plan. We are insulated to R-30 in walls and ceiling. Plenty of glass as well as a 10’ wide R-17 garage door.

1 - 15k mini split cools the whole space. We have two of these, one that’s installed and one still in the box. The calculations told us that we need 30k btu cooling, so we got two units.

The split will also heat the space if the sun is shining. Splits take a lot of watts when in heat mode.

The Rinnai direct vent furnace heats our space easily. We used a “just big enough” unit. The next size up has a much larger pan for water to humidify. Consider humidity. Wish we would have gone larger.

Solar gear is Schneider, batteries are Discover lithium. We never use the generator. Water pump is Grundfos 240 volt soft start in an underground cistern. No well possible at our location.

Make your shed as large as you can. It’s hard to have too much shed space. Consider insulating the slab. We didn’t do this in TX. We did in our new garage in MN and it makes a noticeable difference.

Put in a small split system in the shed. Cooling your electronics to 77F has advantages.

Consider running the welder with the genny. This was advice from the off-grid solar consultant that we used. He also recommends NOT to use AGS.

Enjoy the adventure!

Goose. We are off-grid in the Sonoran Desert at 3,000 ft in the Big Bend region of TX. Temps rarely dip below 30 F. Summer temps are 100+ for 4-5 months. Night temps are 25-30 degrees lower than daytime temps. We are snowbirds, leaving for MN during the hot months.

What works for us. FYI we use top tier everything.

We use Big Ass fans over the bed and in the living room. Moving air really helps with the comfort.

We’ve got Mitsubishi mini splits and Rinnai direct vent propane furnaces.

1,000 square ft w-10’ ceilings open floor plan. We are insulated to R-30 in walls and ceiling. Plenty of glass as well as a 10’ wide R-17 garage door.

1 - 15k mini split cools the whole space. We have two of these, one that’s installed and one still in the box. The calculations told us that we need 30k btu cooling, so we got two units.

The split will also heat the space if the sun is shining. Splits take a lot of watts when in heat mode.

The Rinnai direct vent furnace heats our space easily. We used a “just big enough” unit. The next size up has a much larger pan for water to humidify. Consider humidity. Wish we would have gone larger.

Solar gear is Schneider, batteries are Discover lithium. We never use the generator. Water pump is Grundfos 240 volt soft start in an underground cistern. No well possible at our location.

Make your shed as large as you can. It’s hard to have too much shed space. Consider insulating the slab. We didn’t do this in TX. We did in our new garage in MN and it makes a noticeable difference.

Put in a small split system in the shed. Cooling your electronics to 77F has advantages.

Consider running the welder with the genny. This was advice from the off-grid solar consultant that we used. He also recommends NOT to use AGS.

Enjoy the adventure!
"We use Big Ass fans over the bed and in the living room. Moving air really helps with the comfort."
Just my $.02. I find a pedestal fan at the foot of the bed is much more effective, plus, It doesn't tend to pull the warm air down from the ceiling.
Second, "The split will also heat the space if the sun is shining. Splits take a lot of watts when in heat mode."
I run my 1 ton unit in the early morning hours (pre dawn) and the power used is replaced easily on any sunny day. I realize we don't always have clear sunny days in the winter but if so, this seems to work, on my system, anyway.. According to my unit's specs, It only uses a few more watts in heat mode than it does in cold mode.

Back