diy solar

diy solar

OFF GRID PERMIT?

WOW, are you kidding me you don't understand what I said? having something affixed to your property means attached to your house OR permit affixture to your land like cemented into the ground. The ground mount system that I posted a picture of in my post above showing an example was attached with short rebar so it would NOT blow away. Also, another example I used was attached to the roof of a shipping container box which weight is about 8000 lbs but not a permit building cause it just sits on your land ( like a car does and they don't blow away )
And your comment about code .. well you don't have to have a code inspection for NONE affixed components just like I said using the example of a generator ... Also the O.P. said he did not want to have code people come out... I did a large solar install in colorado for an off-grid cabin while it was being built and the code inspector was out a few times during the build, he said if it's not affixed and plugs into the house like a generator does then he doesn't care about it. IF all this was above your head you probably don't need to be doing any solar work yourself ...
This kinda how I got away with it.

Had Transfer switch permitted to a Generator then switched out generator for Solar.

Works so far.

That is an interesting concept. If they are not affixed, how does one prevent them from blowing away in a breeze? On the other hand adding a circuit does require a building permit in most jurisdictions. I do not know of a way to connect an inverter without the inverter being considered a circuit.
As an example, when my dad built his carport he put the legs on large casters and wired up a plug on the wall above the garage. Since the carport wasn't attached to the structure or permanently mounted it didn't require a permit and doesn't affect the square footage of the house for property taxes. Since he just added an outlet which doesn't need a permit and plugs all the lights into the outlet it also doesn't require an electrical inspection.

Loopholes my friend, loopholes. ?

It all depends on what the building code says.
Each jurisdiction is different. My jurisdiction allows patio covers and carports without a permit. Mine was affixed to the house and did not required a permit. Later I put solar panels on it but installed them and wired them according to code.
I am not adverse to bending the rules. It is a question of how much risk one is willing to take.

Last edited:
I was not trying to be critical of your installation or to change your mind. My comment was for the benefit of other readers.
Yes, I took it that way and agree with you comments. I view this forum as a platform to *share* in case it assists others in their own DIY decisions. It's not about judging anyone.

In my case, I did a fully permitted off-grid system and then... used the 'homeowner may extend their own circuits rule' (in my jurisdiction) along with a backyard ground array (didn't need permits) to increase overall power production.

That is an interesting concept. If they are not affixed, how does one prevent them from blowing away in a breeze? On the other hand adding a circuit does require a building permit in most jurisdictions. I do not know of a way to install an off grid system without adding a circuit?
Is he living in tornado alley? That setup up weighs a couple of hundred pounds. A breeze is unlikely to blow them away. Otherwise, he could simply use some 15" drill-in tent stakes and straps to keep his rack on the ground.

Is he living in tornado alley? That setup up weighs a couple of hundred pounds. A breeze is unlikely to blow them away. Otherwise, he could simply use some 15" drill-in tent stakes and straps to keep his rack on the ground.
If you look closely, he’s using rebar at an angle, kind of like a tent stake.

I'm wishing I had a spare $50K laying about to drill a 700' deep well in AZ.
I’m wishing mine had only been $50k, it was that much just to drill the hole in NW AZ, had to go to 1,500 foot, it’ll be another $15k for the pump, wire, pipe etc. I’d have begged for 700’ ?

I’m wishing mine had only been $50k, it was that much just to drill the hole in NW AZ, had to go to 1,500 foot, it’ll be another $15k for the pump, wire, pipe etc. I’d have begged for 700’ ?
You could’ve just bought the drilling equipment for that much.

That would have gotten me a drill rig but I'd still need to drill for the water, too much iron in drill rigs for tomatoes. LOL
Yeah, but you could’ve been the most popular neighbor in your area. Probably get all the free tomatoes you want.

Glad i live in the UK. @smug.com :)
Glad I live in Missouri. No zoning, no code inspections, no permits, no “planning permission,” no archeological surveys, no bull shit. At least not in rural areas. Cities and urban counties do have it to varying extent.

Maybe not since Prop 13 got eviscerated. On inheritance, it will be reappraised for tax purposes at current market value.
There is an exception regarding use as principle residence. By you? By your heirs? Maybe if you lived there and they move in to live there, will get to keep your low tax basis.

From my understanding the Prop 13 changes only affect heirs that want to rent the house out or keep it as a second home. If they live in it full time OR sell it they are not affected by the property tax increase. I am going through this now with a house in Silicon Valley and the sale will fund my small off-grid house build here in Georgia so I took looked all that up.

Back