diy solar

diy solar

OFF GRID PERMIT?

The Libertarians may be interested in this book https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...mpshire-libertarians-matthew-hongoltz-hetling NH is ground zero for the free state project and the laws of unintended consequences for any action have in been effect for this project. The black bears just add a really big unintended consequence.

This unintended consequence was in the news lately https://newhampshirebulletin.com/2022/08/10/gunstock-a-reopening-and-a-reckoning/

And another one https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterg...tle-to-save-public-education/?sh=4b4d0b579b3e

Lots of land for sale for cheap in Grafton NH, ground zero for the free state project these days, the realtors keep the list prices up for the clueless out of staters but actual sales are rare once people figure out what they are buying into.

BTW the recent news of controlling thermostats was a deal that the consumer signed up for, in exchange for a reduced power bill they voluntarily agreed to allow the utility to reduce demand on occasion. No one put a gun to their head to sign the deal, they did so voluntarily. If they were stupid enough to sign the deal, they do not deserve any sympathy. If they do not like the deal they signed, they can always change their rate plan. Makes good headlines but not a fan of folks crying about something they signed up for.
While I live in NY, where I moved to make my fortune, I am NH born and bred and will be returning in the next year or two. All my family is still there, we go back to before the revolution. NOTE THIS. The natives absolutely HATE the free-staters. They are considered the ultimate outsiders, trying to run the business of state they know nothing about. So NH is a great state to live in, but go there to live, not to change it.

Live Free or die is the state motto but the second someone "from away" starts trying to tell a local how they should live free or die, them's fighting words. ;) BTW, someone could be born 1 foot outside state line in an ambulance heading into the state and live the rest of their lives in NH, and there are some locals who will regard them as "from away". Of course head down to southern NH and there are a lot of folks who work in Mass and live in NH and they are regarded with suspicion.

Welcome back and hope the revised net metering laws will be better than we are stuck with now. :(

Live Free or die is the state motto but the second someone "from away" starts trying to tell a local how they should live free or die, them's fighting words. ;) BTW, someone could be born 1 foot outside state line in an ambulance heading into the state and live the rest of their lives in NH, and there are some locals who will regard them as "from away". Of course head down to southern NH and there are a lot of folks who work in Mass and live in NH and they are regarded with suspicion.

Welcome back and hope the revised net metering laws will be better than we are stuck with now. :(
My property has a lot of open space and likely will have more as I intend to create some meadows. So I plan on a pretty big ground based system. The crappy net metering laws are complicating things a bit. Ultimately need a bigger/more expensive system if you cant get dollar for dollar buy back. And I am liking the newer ground loop heat pumps. Oil is only going to get more expensive, propane is not too bad, but a large storage tank can get pricey, and they both depend on getting a truck, which apparently was tricky this mud season. The move back is 2 years out, so the system will be 3 years out, I will have to see where equipment and power prices are

... there are some locals who will regard them as "from away". ...
A friend moved to a small town in Utah. Their term is "Move Ins". They have a segregated town directory that lists the local residents in the front section and a separate back section entitled "Move Ins".

My property has a lot of open space and likely will have more as I intend to create some meadows. So I plan on a pretty big ground based system. The crappy net metering laws are complicating things a bit. Ultimately need a bigger/more expensive system if you cant get dollar for dollar buy back. And I am liking the newer ground loop heat pumps. Oil is only going to get more expensive, propane is not too bad, but a large storage tank can get pricey, and they both depend on getting a truck, which apparently was tricky this mud season. The move back is 2 years out, so the system will be 3 years out, I will have to see where equipment and power prices are
NH is reassessing the net metering currently, one of the early summaries is that it is worth a lot more than the utility had proposed and it may be easiest to go back to the old method of 1 to 1 which I have on a closed rate plan. Not sure if the unlimited carryover of credits with no required true up will survive. I may be installing a new system on a new lot so will need to deal with the new plans.

intend to create some meadows
Being nh born and bred myself I find that…language pretty bizarre.
“Meadow?”
They spent 150 years leveling the trees and making it tillable. By 1900 there was little forest, mostly. By the 1970s a lot had hit second growth and was harvested. And now you’re gonna instantly make meadows?

Hayfields without livestock are unhealthy, unproductive grassland that animals lose weight every time they get fed wasteland hay that doesn’t, umm, get spread with crap a couple times a season. You will be cutting and sending away the nutrients with every harvest.

Last edited:
Being nh born and bred myself I find that…language pretty bizarre.
“Meadow?”
They spent 150 years leveling the trees and making it tillable. By 1900 there was little forest, mostly. By the 1970s a lot had hit second growth and was harvested. And now you’re gonna instantly make meadows?

Hayfields with livestock are unhealthy, unproductive grassland that animals lose weight every time they get fed wasteland hay that doesn’t, umm, get spread with crap a couple times a season. You will be cutting and sending away the nutrients with every harvest.
A meadow, not a field. There is actually less open wild open land than there was when only the Native Americans lived there. Note I said wild, not counting golf courses, lawns and all those suburbs. There was an interesting article in the Keene Sentinel about how members of NH tribal societies are working with the NH DEC to look into how the Native Americans used fire to keep areas open for agriculture. The only thing my Meadow will grow is brush, and eventually a forest again. I want to raise woodchucks, provide ground bird habitat, and maybe some tasty saplings for the local beaver population. My biggest challenge will be to keep the invasive species out. Figure I will need to walk it once a week in spring. That will get my steps in!

A meadow is grassland

Yes. Hay is grass as you probably know.
Well this is off topic ! But only specific types of grass are generally considered Hay. Not enough of a farmer to know which ones they are.
It is more the transition zone you get at the edge where a meadow (or ok a field) transitions back to forest. Lots of habitat for small creatures. One of the reasons (yes I know there are others) that the bluebird population (among others) has dropped is loss of habitat. They love the edges.

loss of habitat. They love the edges.
That’s why I hate tree huggers and these conservancy non-profits that lock up ‘forest’ and ban off-roading and sometimes hunting and get all up in arms about “erosion.” Selective clearcuts are healthy and carry more wildlife sustainability.
I applaud you for that. But the ecosystem thrives in a macro scale, not in 20-acre potholes of first growth. We need an ecosystem big enough in scale that it supports more than just a few predators or the handful of prey species that have no room to range broader than the predators.

I just thought it a bit amusing to think of ‘creating a meadow’ that either nature or agriculture takes a century or more to establish the biology to be healthy.
only specific types of grass are generally considered Hay
Today. You can mow any healthy grass in new england and bale it for livestock. But today we ‘fertilize’ because we are sucking the life out of the ground and the fertilizer is required. Any grass that gets cut late spring yields good hay at second cut if the soil has adequate nutrients.
Today (New England) ‘we’ cut a few hundred acres to support dairy, for example, with 300 in the herd where not even a hundred years ago my grandfather and others would only carry 30-40 animals, tops. We are sucking the life out of the ground and often have to use chemical fertilizers because of that. Simply growing grass isn’t a full solution. The recent dry years are revealing the soil weakness we have created. It’s funny- the mennonite communities around here seem to make plenty of money without killing the land.

If you have enough acreage you might try clearcutting some 400’x 2000’ swaths leaving ‘seed’ trees periodically. Rabbits, deer, mice, owls, partridge etc would thank you

Building a house on my property in Florida and the County guy said I had to wire "as if I was tied to the grid" to which I asked why? He said for the next person. I told him the "next person" was not my concern. I would have my heirs take down the solar and the "next person" could add power to the property if they wanted to but I am not bringing in a power pole.

Has anyone heard of this happening or heard of any other pitfalls resulting from not getting s permit?
Here, it's a misdemeanor.. no fine. I'm in the same boat you are but I'm going to go ahead and get the permit anyway.

I interpret that to mean, "according to code". i do not know why anyone would do any electrical work not to code. To me it is a safety issue.
You'd be suprised at some of the janky wiring out there. The place I'm living now has 3 baseboard heaters on the same breaker via 3 wire sets, and had 2 baseboards and a water heater on another breaker...

And no labels of course...

I could spend HOURS listing examples of shady wiring...

Last edited:
I want to install a 10 panel on the roof, no grid tie system on my house. But I don't want to get a permit, or rather I don't want an inspector poking around my property. It occurred to me that the panels will show up on google earth and the county might be watching. Has anyone heard of this happening or heard of any other pitfalls resulting from not getting s permit?
What state r u in..? Yes building departments do use social media and google to get their tax $

That’s why I hate tree huggers and these conservancy non-profits that lock up ‘forest’ and ban off-roading and sometimes hunting and get all up in arms about “erosion.” Selective clearcuts are healthy and carry more wildlife sustainability.
I applaud you for that. But the ecosystem thrives in a macro scale, not in 20-acre potholes of first growth. We need an ecosystem big enough in scale that it supports more than just a few predators or the handful of prey species that have no room to range broader than the predators.

I just thought it a bit amusing to think of ‘creating a meadow’ that either nature or agriculture takes a century or more to establish the biology to be healthy.

Today. You can mow any healthy grass in new england and bale it for livestock. But today we ‘fertilize’ because we are sucking the life out of the ground and the fertilizer is required. Any grass that gets cut late spring yields good hay at second cut if the soil has adequate nutrients.
Today (New England) ‘we’ cut a few hundred acres to support dairy, for example, with 300 in the herd where not even a hundred years ago my grandfather and others would only carry 30-40 animals, tops. We are sucking the life out of the ground and often have to use chemical fertilizers because of that. Simply growing grass isn’t a full solution. The recent dry years are revealing the soil weakness we have created. It’s funny- the mennonite communities around here seem to make plenty of money without killing the land.

If you have enough acreage you might try clearcutting some 400’x 2000’ swaths leaving ‘seed’ trees periodically. Rabbits, deer, mice, owls, partridge etc would thank you
Clearcutting is considered cutting more than 75% of the trees on your property

Clearcutting is considered cutting more than 75% of the trees on your property
Maybe in your jurisdiction
Clearcutting around here is cutting all trees. It wouldn’t be very clear land if trees remained.
Selective cutting or thinning leaves trees behind

You'd be suprised at some of the janky wiring out there. The place I'm living now has 3 baseboard heaters on the same breaker via 3 wire sets, and had 2 baseboards and a water heater on another breaker...

And no labels of course...

I could spend HOURS listing examples of shady wiring...
I would expect no less with a username I like that.:LOL::p

Last edited:
Back