diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid Plug N Play

ePowerBank

Hello team DIY!

I need a backup power solution primarily for sump pump and secondly for home backup power.
I plan for sump pump backup to be automatic, and home backup to be manual, hence split phase.

My original favorite was Magnasine MS4448-PAE, but just too expensive I think for this case, and seeking something more like a UPS, Plug N Play.
I actually looked at a Sump (modified) inverter by Sentry that starts at almost $1000 (without batteries), so I think below options are major upgrade that allow for the backup power to boot.

With a sump that pumps twice a min worst case and wanting a home backup option for evening power, I'm thinking 48v 100AH EG4 by Signature Solar for the battery ($1500).
My latest short list has is 3 options, and, I would love to hear what the survey of those experienced have to say…
1655610066477.png

1. Growatt SPF6000T (connects to EG4 100AH I believe, best warranty, but no UL1741)
2. Sungold Power 6000W 48V split phase (UL1741, but no BMS connection)
3. Sigineer M6048D (seems simple like Sungold but a little better, but no real advantages over 1st or 2nd options)

Would it be an issue if I didn't have UL1741 with the Growatt?
On the other hand, would it be an issue if I didn't have EG4 connected to Sungold inverter for BMS?
Funny, I just learned that the Sigineer has what looks identical model (M6048DUL) for $2000 ($+200) which includes UL1741 - hmm, Sungold looks golden?!

Would welcome any votes, or suggestions for what's the most Plug N Play!

RESPECTFULLY TORN !

I spoke with Signature Solar today and they confirmed there's no problem to hook up EG4 LiFePO4 to Sungold (for charging), since I'm not doing solar. Discussed Schneider which was probably more reliable/proven, but the $$$ started adding up... for a simple pump "backup".

With that I've made decision to go Sungold M6048D + EG4 LiFePO4, since it costs the least ($2.7k) while being UL1741.

I got a similar response from Sungold. However, I found this video on changing the BMS protocol on the SOK 48v rack mount battery, and was really hoping that something similar was possible on the EG4.

So forgive me if sump pumps are all in a sort of predictable range and anyone remotely familiar with them already has a handle on this, but.. what is the power requirement of this pump anyway?

In my case I have a 1/2 hp sump pump that draws about 800w average, or 7A. Startup/peak I'm sure is a bit more. Hard thing is predicting worst of worst, which would be power outage combined with heavy rain. In Michigan we should be prepared for both, hence my endeavor. In a heavy heavy rain I've see the pump going on every 30 sec's. With a Sense monitoring system I was able to see my heaviest usage over past year, which was pump cycling on almost 2900 times in one month, or almost 1kwh in one day. I now have the Sungold 6kw 48V inverter mentioned above and still need to purchase a battery, probably a 100ah EG4 by Signature Solar to start with. I see this as an auto UPS for the sump, and a manual backup for night time power outages, when I don't want to leave generator(s) running over night on the driveway.

Back