diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid PV-FC-EV-Boogie-Trailer-Boat-Plane-Cart Project Build Plan.

danibzibur

Preface.
I'm Daniel from Israel, Tel Aviv. This is an extensive solar electric build plan based on my current monthly income,
and my "No Ties" ability to move around in Israel.

Note to the Forum Administrator: A word count function would help a lot, since there is a limit of 10.000 characters.

In this Build log I ask my self many questions to ponder over and let sink down. Viewers are all of course very welcome to give me any kind of
friendly reaction, that I sincerely hope to answer to. The areas I cover in this planning effort are wast and has been collected
through several years of contemplation, and study of already existing often mass produced technical solutions.

Disclaimers:
the build solutions I present in the course of my build project may have use cases that are unheard of and / or un-tested.
However I am NOT- interested in making money from this single project.

Also: I strongly feel the legal Intellectual property systems of our world to be seriously flawed, outdated, and put in to use
as a colonial governmental power abusing Instrument to discourage ordinary people from finding happi(y)ness by creating working
new technically sustainable solutions.

I need to start logging my work in ways of design and assembly of my ( :geek: ) ? Electric or Fuel Cell Wings & Wheels on Keels
- Travel while you ? -dream.

The planning is done with flexibility of change in every instance and step in mind.
Simply, because :
1. There will be a fold-up wing span with double end bldc motors/props attached, so space is allocated for this purpose.
2. There will be fold out or retraction foils or fins momentarily protruding on each side.
3. There might be double short retractable (or even sinkable) lightweight masts for sails, or
4. There might be an attachment point for a Kite Sail.

Background:
I wake up every day feeling bored and antagonistic towards all and every contraption that fly, roll and or float around me. I made past efforts to shape a vessel that you can travel the world with with very few limits.
I design for versatility, peace of mind and soul, sustainability, relaxation, and a low price tag.
Basic idea is to be able to travel to remote empty places.

Strategy:
The materials, pod shape and space will be optimized towards a minimalist sturdy but light weight two person accommodation and travel over land, above water, as well as safe floatation ( and sailing?) on water in ( really ? ) bad weather.
he vessel size needs to well appreciate the inside of a standard 20ft shipping container.

Time frame:
Year 1: Stage 0 Year 2: Stage 1. Liveable rolling solution. and possible move of shop to a new location?
Year 3: Stage 2, Wings, Foils ? Year 4: Stage 3, Ein Gedi, Dead Sea Rift. Global Sustainable Trading and Peace Influencers Club?

Course of Action:

Stage 0: Off Grid Shop setup:

A small outdoor space (min 30 Sqm ) to be rented located here in Israel.
Wooded shady area with access to drinking water, in range to super markets,
close to fire hose, access to relevant polymer and composite raw construction materials.
Good Cellular Coverage is a must , and also distance from falling rockets.

Requisition of Old Cargo Box from Truck or similar that can be securely locked. (Old shipping container is
one idea, but seems like overkill.)

Initial shop solar setup (Stage 0)
De-commissioned ( Broken? Disrepaired? ) Solar Panels Bought and brought from One of Israels many Solar Farms.

A 48V 5kWh system is what I think of, but it can also be built from
B: 2 * 24V or
C: 4 * 12V. to have maximum flexibility, and the least of a fire hazard?

Each solution require that a single Battery pack will need to have their own BMS AND Solar charger, completely separate
from the 120V / 240V / ( 400V? ) inverter, with exception of the 48V single pack solution.

Please correct me if the above stated is wrong.

Should I consider a triple phase adapted battery design at any point?
Most modern AC :s runs on single phase, Many washing machines also run on single phase.

I will probably -NOT- need a fully equipped machine shop, since I plan to buy all the moving parts, make use of hand tools, possibly some 3D printning?
Most Composite work will be done by hand, and handmade (Air-crete? or similar ) Curing Ovens will be fed by either Propane or Electricity as long as I'm not lucky enough to stumble upon Advanced (Oil circulation) Solar heating Equipment.

Batteries either bought new or re-used from older EV.
( Might there be decommisioned ready made storage packs from existing solar farms or hospitals?
Older AGM batteries retired from fleets?
Israel Grid uses 240V / 400V 50 Hz.

Personal Bookmark:
The main online Seller of Batteries, Chargers, Inverters and Solar Equipment in Israel is called Sollan Ltd. Website: https://www.sollan.co.il (Hebrew only)

They have a bunch of equipment (Inverters, chargers etc ), that I need to go over, cause I've seen very few of them reviewed
online. Again: I have no connection to the above website. As they have a physical outlet, I might benefit from visiting them.

Stage 1: The RV Pod.
Materials: Body work will be UV protected polymer peel ply or glass around sturdy polymer (UV protected) foams.
For lightning and surge protection, the live and travel pod's inside might use a thin layer of carbon fiber. another Idea is to use aluminium wire mesh
Transparent small surfaces probably from polycarbonate.
The Pods exact 3D shape itself will be drawn up at a later stage, since every feature inside and outside adheres and depends
on all the use cases and planned pheripherals.
The pod will be completely roof covered in solar cells, with exception of a wind shield, that might double as pilot entrance.

Another safer solution is to have a cumbersome entry from the Aft through a hard solar cell covered fold-up rear spray-hood.
It will have a lifting body air foil shape and a determined angle of attack. Repeated studs might be incorporated into the design
not only to keep solar cells fastened to the pods outside body. The body will if possible have 3 water proofed compartments,
separated by so called bulk heads. The Pod shape is designed from planning hull performance.

These bulk heads will also be fastening points for:
1. Externalized or internalized water proofed lenghtwise leading beam battery packs,
could be with an aft located negative and bow located positive pole.

2. Composite Boogie frame, or single wheel composite suspensions:
Note: Chevrolet Corvette has been using fiber glass leaf springs
for well over 30 years. Mercedes Sprinter comes close to that.
GM ( Ford started mass fiber glass suspensioning in 2019.

3. Wingbox with pneumatic or hydraulic attenuator hooks + fold down hydro foil landing gear.

4. Pilot and Passenger Seats.

Pod Solar:

Individual (cut in half?) semi flexible ( 5" Maxeon C60? ) Solar Cells will be combined into well performing adapted voltage patterns.
Battery cells of convenient form factor for EV build (LiFePo4) will have to be ordered from China or similar.

Battery choices for Pod:
48V motor drive voltage is logical because it is a standard for many industrial electrical DC installations around the world.
Lots massproduced equipment on offer world wide. 48V so happens to be a standard for Golf Carts, Chinese mini EV:s and E-bikes.
LFP? Na-Ion? Li-Ti-O? Al-OH FC?
Hopefully new battery shapes and chemistries will arrive in the coming two years in which I plan to accomplish
Step 1 of this build. I am as for now looking at EVE LF32 or possibly BYD LiFePo4 23Ah cells, but this is very likely to
change in the course of time. There is also a 50 Ah LFP Cell marketed by Liitokala that has a nice form factor.
Liitokala doesn't seem to manufacture these cells so Who does?

Fallback solution for battery pack design (Covid-23? or Ukraine WW3? Old used Li-Ion cells molded to
a beam structure, possibly with Pyrotechnic fasteners used for both Electric poles and structural integrity
in case of thermal runaway. The vehicle in design is -NON- insurable, so any kind of burning scenario is
unthinkable.
Q: Do you have to make your own, or is there a seller somewhere, maybe even in Israel?

100 % Reliability function of all battery backs are a vital to life cornerstone in my design, and will
probably make me split the Amp-hours into several structural beam longitudal 48V packs

Wheels and Hub motors:
Cone shaped quick dis / assembly spindle.
Tire rims will be separate from hub motors with single shaft disc brake design.
Hubmotors need to be direct coil to drive and no gears for loss free high torque low speed = low voltage.

Tires on rim will be High profile, to manual re-purpose as fenders while submerged in water.
I will initially plan for 4-6 drive wheels in a so called (triple?) boogie configuration as a dirt cheap up-cycling of old hoverboards.
but this will likely change, if I get access to the good stuff from China. A minimum of power needed for my contraption to start rolling
at max speed of 28mph= 40kph would likely be 6x 500W, 4 x 750W or 2 x1500W motors.
Later maybe an inventive fiber glass drum hubmotor design to reduce weight?

Ran out of text space for one post.

Cut to half Maxeon C60 shipping container plan made in AutoCad online, and somewhat edited with Windows Paint.

Two calculation mistake sneaked in.
Each cell row takes up 130 mm and not 125 mm that is the 5 inch meassurement of Maxeon c60.
Thus 5 rows take up 650 mm, and 4 rows 520 mm, leaving 5 mm of space between every Cell lengthwise

3.5 mm spacing between Cut cell columns 28 columns take up 1848 mm (was originally 2.5 mm => 1820 mm.)
3.5 mm spacing with 4 more cell columns give 2112 mm width, which of course extends the total planned vehicle width to
approxiately 2200 - 2250 mm. Reason for a 3.5mm spacing is that that is the smallest copper tube diameter I could find
to add oil cooling by creation of a heat exchange lattice. Entry opening to a standad shipping container is 2340 mm.

Attachments

• cutc60wtx.jpg
    cutc60wtx.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back