diy solar

diy solar

Off grid refrigeration

Back when you could actually buy a chest freezer, I bought mine from Costco for $120 and added an 'Ink Bird' device to turn it into a super insulated fridge. Worked great and barely used any power to operate.

Now I prefer to use the chest freezer as an actual freezer as I mostly freeze everything and love having ice. For my fridge, I use a super insulated cooler (Yeti or Pelican brand work well) and put a frozen gallon of water from the freezer into the cooler and rotate those out every 3-4 days. Since I don't use much refrigerator space (just milk and eggs mostly) this works out great for me and I only use 60 watts per hour to run the chest freezer.

I'm curious as to what led you to want to take an on-grid house off-grid, I did a quick Google search and Oregon seems to have a net metering law?

I'm curious as to what led you to want to take an on-grid house off-grid, I did a quick Google search and Oregon seems to have a net metering law?

net metering is quickly becoming a loser in my eyes

when I talked to my local power company last year about grid-tie of a hybrid system they flat out said no.

power companies in my state are lobbing for anti-solar initiatives. feed in tariffs, minimum service fees blah blah.

many place pay 3c/kw but you buy at 11c

then add all the inspections, taxes, fees, blah blah. for some users it could make a lot of sense to stay off grid, or only buy from the grid (as I plan to do)

While I was building my solar power plant I purchased this mini-fridge because it was ULTRA efficient. Now that I have loads of power my only desire for a big hog is to make this silly ass hole in my kitchen look right. :)
I really like this refrigerator. Just something to consider. It consumes less than 1kwh/day. It is 10cuft.

Attachments

• IMG_6007.JPG
    IMG_6007.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6009.JPG
    IMG_6009.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6010.JPG
    IMG_6010.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 46
Now I prefer to use the chest freezer as an actual freezer as I mostly freeze everything and love having ice. For my fridge, I use a super insulated cooler (Yeti or Pelican brand work well) and put a frozen gallon of water from the freezer into the cooler and rotate those out every 3-4 days. Since I don't use much refrigerator space (just milk and eggs mostly) this works out great for me and I only use 60 watts per hour to run the chest freezer.

This is the exact system I use (Rtic brand Cooler), I have found that I need to have a 2 gallon jug though, one gallon just doesn't do it.

I'm on the hunt for a good 12V fridge for a small teardrop style camper.

I'm on the hunt for a good 12V fridge for a small teardrop style camper.

anything with a danfoss compressor seems to be well liked. alpacool or dometic are the leading brands as far as I can tell.

I just bought a 120v fridge for my RV, but may grab a 12v freezer later.

We pay $0.40 kwh here in South Australia.

OUCH. I assume AUS is like many areas of the US, logistically a nightmare to support and service many areas.

it took govt intervention (creation of TVA) to get many areas of my region serviced (a populated area compared to out west).

some areas of the US have demand/time based pricing that could approach that IIRC, but I wouldn't live there.

We pay $0.40 kwh here in South Australia. We have to pay for Elon Musk's battery that he installed down here.
Dave
You're sure about that's the reason? As far I'm aware of it is a huge money saver for AEMO.

It depends on who you listen to I suppose. There are 2 sides to every story.

Dont just rely on the mainstream media, But this isnt the place to discuss it.

Dave

I am brand new here, and do not have any solar, nor off grid equipment yet. I am unhappy with the P.U.D., and desire to "cut the cord". I expect it to cost money, but I am a little bit bull headed, and I want to be off the grid. I live in Oregon, and have excellent southern exposure, with plenty of room for a solar array. I think my main needs from battery power will be refrigeration, lighting, and electronic entertainment (computer, tv, cell phone).

I am trying to cram info into my brain, but it is taking more time and effort than I expected. My first question is how to provide myself with refrigerator and freezer without the grid. I see a couple brands of appliances designed for off grid, which run on DC, but I also see that I could use an inverter and keep the same appliances I already have. Is there a good reason to purchase the purpose built off grid appliances (refrigerator, and freezer) ? I do have a great generator to use as back up, and for occasional large loads like laundry. I will be looking into propane tankless water heater, and propane off grid range/oven to back up a wood cookstove. I am in a "modern" on grid home with wood and electric heat, so I can make the transition in steps.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Hey there. I have been living off grid now for almost 3 years. Full description of my current system plus planned updates in Newcomers section. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/introducing-myself.8173/

I found converting a cheap secondhand chest freezer to a fridge super easy by using an Inkbird ITC308 as a simple temperature controller in the power line. Set it to maintain between 35F & 39F and no further mods needed.
https://www.ink-bird.com/products-temperature-controller-itc308.html This is used to store bulk foods and important stuff like beer and wine :)

In the kitchen I use a Dometic lpg fridge for day to day stuff https://www.dometic.com/en/se/produ...rs/rv-refrigerators/dometic-rge-2100-_-207224

Hope this helps

You can get small, very efficient refrigerators fairly inexpensively. I can't believe people hassle with freezing water and moving it into coolers every day. Just because you're off grid doesn't mean you have to rough it.

I have domestic appliances on my boat and run them through an inverter, you could make your fridge and freezer more efficient by sealing them in and packing insulation all round the top bottom and sides, put them against an outside wall with fan assisted ventilation behind them if you don't want them heating the room they are in.

Mine are free standing at the moment as the galley is going to be rebuilt but they will eventually be built into an insulated box with exterior venting although they have been fine so far on 500w of panels and a single 24v 100AH Lipo4.

I solved the issue with a chest freezer using an inline temperature controller. Plug freezer into controller and set controller to 33 low and 37 high. I abandoned the idea of having a freezer they suck too much power. Here in N idaho I may not see sun for months, usually during the winter. We put the chest freezer outside and it doesnt run all winter, stays cold on its own. During summer we move back inside and have plenty of sun to run and keep cold. So during winter I use snow bank for freezer and summer we eat fresh or home canned food. Anything I would have frozen from our butcher pigs or chickens or garden gets canned.

Problem solved!

PS When you buy a chest freezer dont go over 5-7sf. I also added 2- 5 gallon water jugs to the bottom for mass. Also look for the best one on energy star website (lowest power consumption)

You can get small, very efficient refrigerators fairly inexpensively. I can't believe people hassle with freezing water and moving it into coolers every day. Just because you're off grid doesn't mean you have to rough it.
Could you suggest some of the ones you would recommend? Im just getting a system set up in my van. 400w solar and 276ah lithium. A fridge is the one thing Im really on the fence. Don’t want to have to spend $1k on a DC fridge if A $100-200 dorm fridge or freezer converted will do the trick. Thanks

I think I seen something about freezers used as refrigerators, building up moisture inside ? Is that a real problem ?

I've seen people drill a small hole in the bottom, some attach a tub and let the condensation drain out.. draining the condensation in refrigerators is very common ..

I have mine on top of a short pedestal. They all have drain plugs and I have a catch pan under mine. A piece of tape shaped into a triangle will direct the water to tray and prevent it creeping elsewhere. Make sure the freezer is near level with a slight tilt to the drain. There is no need to remove the drain plug as these leak well enough. Have a maintenance schedule as this plug will scum up and stop working.

Back