diy solar

diy solar

Off grid solar car port

sam.bircher

Hey Will,

I have a project installing a solar car port and there is interest in adding a level 2 EV charger. I'm looking for suggestions on an outdoor rated all in one system that can charge the car during the day while at work.

thanks for any help,
sam

Welcome!

It’s an interesting project I think we will see more of in the future. I did some rough maths once and it looked like the cost of a carport, solar, and electronics came out to about the same net present value of paying something like $3.00 USD per gallon over 10 years. With an assumption of 10,000 miles driven per year.

Need some type of foundation, a competent structure, probably with an independent roof, solar install, and the controller you are looking for.

I’m curious how it pencils out.

I am interested to see your calculations. What type of car, battery size, acceptance rate? I put 8 used panels on my car port, haven’t wired them in yet because I need to purchase the micros. Max I will get is 7.3kw per day, which is about 1/2 the battery in my wife’s plug-in Escape. I would like more, but space is my limiting factor. Max output from the 5 micros will be 1750w, while the car’s acceptance rate is 3300w on a level 2 charger. Since I am grid tied and this is an add on, mine should be OK.

Back