diy solar

diy solar

Off grid solar house using full solar capacity

dcawkwell

I am new to off grid living and currently use a growatt SPF 5000 charger/inverter. In the winter time when power is tight I find it difficult to judge the amount of power I have available coming in from the panels. For example I see my batteries charging at 1.5kw but I can switch on a 1kw fan heater without reducing the charging rate so the power was there to be had. I would like to be able to dump excess power to devices like hot water tanks and heaters are there any devices that can help with this?

I am new to off grid living and currently use a growatt SPF 5000 charger/inverter. In the winter time when power is tight I find it difficult to judge the amount of power I have available coming in from the panels. For example I see my batteries charging at 1.5kw but I can switch on a 1kw fan heater without reducing the charging rate so the power was there to be had. I would like to be able to dump excess power to devices like hot water tanks and heaters are there any devices that can help with this?
Timers are the lowest priced options. For example, I switched my farm irrigation cycle from early morning to mid day to ensure system is off grid.

I agree with @JCSchwarb . Make use of timers to take advantage of those times of the day when you have excess. Just keep in mind that on a cloudy day the timer will still turn on whatever you have connected to it. This will drain your battery if you have insufficient production.

Back