diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid solar install, grounding questions

Thunderworks

I have a small off grid building that I want to electrify. The load needs are modest - a few lights, a small mini fridge, small fan, occasional charging for an air compressor. I want to use a portable storage battery like the Ecoflow Mini. The building will be wired with romex and have "male inlets" at a central location where I will use short extension cords between the Ecoflow Mini and the male inlets. I had a small cabin a few years ago and used a similar system.

My question has to do with grounding . . . the tech support folks at Ecoflow indicated that their storage battery/inverter should not be used with devices that require grounding. The Mini unit has 5 AC outlets, two of which appear to have the capacity to accept a 3-prong plug, and three do not (without the use of a 3-prong to 2-prong adapater).

What is the issue with the grounding? Do I risk damaging the Mini itself? Or is the issue one of safe operation of the device (I'm thinking specifically of the air compressor).

TIA

You're in a gray area. In my opinion, that device isn't designed to be integrated into a residential electric system. If it was, there would be a way to hardwire the unit to a subpanel. That and Ecoflow is not in favor of your use case. I think the issue is safety.

You might want to look over the four grounding docs from the Resources section of the forum. Here is the first one:

Back