diy solar

diy solar

Off grid solar install

Jason Dunkin

Hello folks
I'm going to setup an off grid system in my garage that will power a refrigerator, maybe charge the EV. The solar will be available in case of a grid power failure. Do I need to get a permit from the city (State of TN, City of Memphis) to mount the solar panels on the roof for an off-grid system ?

Last edited:
Hello folks
I'm going to setup an off grid system in my garage that will power a (1) refrigerator, maybe (2) charge the EV.

Analogy:

"I'm going to go hunting with..."
(1) airsoft pistol
(2) bazooka

You have casually tied those two together when one requires vastly more resources than the other, unless you plan to do it on a very very limited basis.

The solar will be available in case of a grid power failure. Do I need to get a permit from the city (State of TN, City of Memphis) to mount the solar panels on the roof for an off-grid system ?

You really need to check with City of Memphis first, then county, etc. They probably have info in their website.

Roof mounted panels are almost certainly subject to NEC2017 due to building codes.

Permits may or may not be required, but you will certainly find rules you're supposed to follow tied to the NEC.

Analogy:

"I'm going to go hunting with..."
(1) airsoft pistol
(2) bazooka

You have casually tied those two together when one requires vastly more resources than the other, unless you plan to do it on a very very limited basis.

You really need to check with City of Memphis first, then county, etc. They probably have info in their website.

Roof mounted panels are almost certainly subject to NEC2017 due to building codes.

Permits may or may not be required, but you will certainly find rules you're supposed to follow tied to the NEC.
Thank you!

I called the permits office and no permit from the electrical side since this is off-grid, but permit is required on the building permit side. I will submit the application at their office.

NEC2017 requires that roof mounted arrays be capable of shutdown AT the module, i.e., each solar panel has to be cut off individually. There are optimizers that have this function, but they add about $60 to the cost of each and every panel. You'll also be subject to NFPA guidelines for panel spacing, edge distance, etc. It doesn't have anything to do with grid-tie but it has to do with a firefighter safety if they have to be up on your roof. I suspect you'll be subject to both of these specific criteria.

If you have the option for ground mount, it's simplified.

ground mount is not an option for me as i don't have the space. Everything on the internet and youtubers are like, going solar is so easy, just connect the panel,battery, inverter and viola :(

Back