diy solar

diy solar

Off grid system advice

I guess that depends on how you define "really low". The lowest idle per watt I've found is the Schneider XW. The low power idle doesn't really seem to be a difference of low vs high frequency though. The Sol-Ark is high frequency, but its idle power consumption is about on par with low frequency tier 1 devices (roughly equal to victron). However, when it comes to conversion efficiencies the high frequency units do have the theoretical capability of achieving the highest conversion efficiencies (lowest losses). The sol-ark has the best I've seen, but its still only a tad bit better than the Schneider. I think that any whole house off grid residential system would be wise to get a low frequency system, unless they carefully plan their system around their needed surge/inductive loads. The Sol-Ark 12k is actually only 9k from inverter/batteries, and while they claim a surge of 16k - there's some funny business in that number that involves combining power from grid or generator. I've seen a video of the Sol-Ark 12k barely passing 4500 watts on 1 of the 2 legs (only around 2500 watts on the other leg) and shutting off within like 2 seconds. Sol-Ark's actual surge capability is shit.

I'm trying to get reasonable price, good surge, good idle power, good conversion efficiency, good warranty and robustness. Good support would be nice, but can't have it all. So far Schneider is ticking all my boxes the best. I'd rather pay a bit more to have more of those boxes ticked well.

Last edited:
Well, I tried starting my well pump at 9:00pm with the XW after it was totally dark, so I'd call that a high surge load. It worked just fine. The XW seems to have about the lowest idle consumption around. I don't know why everybody keeps talking about it?

Yeah the Schneider has good surge capability. They don't try to inflate their numbers either, you'll get what they claim. The sungold power clearly offers more surge and a better price, but you get less conversion efficiency and higher idle power. I wouldn't say there's a right choice, it's up to what you feel most comfortable with for your situation. In the summers in the pacific northwest the inefficiencies of the sungoldpower wouldn't bother me, but in the winter they would, so thats just me and my situation.

I guess that depends on how you define "really low". The lowest idle per watt I've found is the Schneider XW. The low power idle doesn't really seem to be a difference of low vs high frequency though. The Sol-Ark is high frequency, but its idle power consumption is about on par with low frequency tier 1 devices (roughly equal to victron). However, when it comes to conversion efficiencies the high frequency units do have the theoretical capability of achieving the highest conversion efficiencies (lowest losses). The sol-ark has the best I've seen, but its still only a tad bit better than the Schneider. I think that any whole house off grid residential system would be wise to get a low frequency system, unless they carefully plan their system around their needed surge/inductive loads. The Sol-Ark 12k is actually only 9k from inverter/batteries, and while they claim a surge of 16k - there's some funny business in that number that involves combining power from grid or generator. I've seen a video of the Sol-Ark 12k barely passing 4500 watts on 1 of the 2 legs (only around 2500 watts on the other leg) and shutting off within like 2 seconds. It's actual surge capability is shit.

I'm trying to get reasonable price, good surge, good idle power, good conversion efficiency, good warranty and robustness. Good support would be nice, but can't have it all. So far Schneider is ticking all my boxes the best. I'd rather pay a bit more to have more of those boxes ticked well.
Schneider is an excellent company.
If you are near Clarksville TN, we have a solar distributor there that stocks Schneider stuff at good prices.
I can send you their info. I also got 24 Solarever 440 watt panels from them too.

Schneider is an excellent company.
If you are near Clarksville TN, we have a solar distributor there that stocks Schneider stuff at good prices.
I can send you their info. I also got 24 Solarever 440 watt panels from them too.
Northern Idaho, not very close. I grew up in NC though.

I have been using Schneider XW 6848 with two Schneider 60 150 controllers for 5 years first 2 totally off grid. Last 3 grid sell. I have never had a minute of trouble. Never had to use their tech support though either.

I am running 3 Sol-Ark 12Ks in parallel that I just installed a few months ago and am totally off the grid. The inverters, along with 30kW of panels and 1900Ah of battery provide me 100 amp service to my 2600 sq foot house. I can run both 3 ton A/C units and everything I have thrown at it, and have never had the system shut down due to an overload.

Question, on the Sun Gold Power 12Kw 48volt solar inverter charger, it has a connection for PV. I can't seem to find out how many watts from solar does it take? Does anyone know, Thank you

Last edited:
Question, on the Sun Gold Power 12Kw 48volt solar inverter charger, it has a connection for PV. I can't seem to find out how many watts from solar does it take? Does anyone know, Thank you

This one? https://sungoldpower.com/products/1...solar-inverter-charger?variant=39652733485193

If so, that takes 80A from solar input (see specifications tab), so at battery voltage of 48V that means around 4kW give or take. The 18kW version says 3200W, so I'm guessing it's the same.

Sol ark are expensive, but I have the 15k model and it has handled everything i can throw at it so far including the construction phase of things! I have a deep well pump 1/2 hp, when it turns on you can't tell its on other than the pressure switch contractor clicking open and closed. Just like a normal house.

sol ark are expensive, but so far the peace of mind makes it worth it:

Back