diy solar

diy solar

Off grid system for 110v 1/2 Hp Pump

Solar hydroponics

So I currently I have 110 v 1/2 hp Ac pump and I’m trying to get my hydroponic system fully off grid . I would need it to run 24/7 and would have to run about 12 hours during the night . What would be the correct system in order to facilitate this. Like how many battery’s and panels would I need and what size inverter

Attachments

• 1164FE6A-B551-48EC-A09B-6566D3ED3BFC.jpeg
    1164FE6A-B551-48EC-A09B-6566D3ED3BFC.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 10
It shows .37 KW, so times 24 is 8.888KWh per day usage.
You should plan on 3 days of reserve if this load is critical so 26.64KWh storage...
Now... to replenish the loss depending on irradiance in your area, average is 5 hours

you need 5.328 KW of panels.

It shows .37 KW, so times 24 is 8.888KWh per day usage.
You should plan on 3 days of reserve if this load is critical so 26.64KWh storage...
Now... to replenish the loss depending on irradiance in your area, average is 5 hours

you need 5.328 KW of panels.
thanks for the reply .any recommendations as to what size inverter and what type ?

any recommendations as to what size inverter and what type ?
I would think you should get your battery and solar figured out before this. Do you know if your battery bank will be 12v vs 24v? These require different inverters.
Besides, the solar array and battery bank sized by Supervstech are pretty large and possibly make your solar goals financially unattainable.

thanks for the reply .any recommendations as to what size inverter and what type ?
I have run my 1/2 HP dewatering pump with a GoPower 1000 watt sine wave inverter. It is a bit marginal on start up. Running it pulls 810w and about 900va. I recommend a 1500 watt GoPower for more reliable service. Depending on the battery size I would go right to 24 volt if you will have 8 cells. You may even need two of these batteries. Can always add more as needed.

I am thinking you need close to 4kW of solar but I have little to no experience making this call. I figure you need 1000 watts continuous but solar is good for 6 hours a day or 1/4 of the 24 hour period and that get me to 4 kW. Reality is not every day is perfect for solar so you may need more some days and a larger battery to carry you through. Again if this is not life critical you can aim low and expand if needed.

Can always supplement from the grid in difficult solar days or while waiting to expand.

If the pump has a 50% duty cycle then you cut the panels in half.

Back