diy solar

diy solar

Off grid system or grid tie system

Willieboy240

Hello everyone.
I have a question as I’m learning more solar stuff. I’m also researching what I’ve run across. Just wanted to get peoples input on this topic that have tried both. Let me explain what I need and hopefully you can advise. I use about 15kwh a day on my aquarium. I was going to build a all in one / hybrid inverter with 13.5ah batteries. I have about 2.5kw of solar panels to start and can add maybe another 4kw. But as I’m reading more. What do you think about skipping the batteries and go to grid tie ? Where the power goes into the house lets. Where I live space is limited. So no big solar array. I’m just looking for a buffer to drop the electricity bill. It will never be a 100% off grid system. I always use approximately 625 watts a hour 24/7. During the day I use the most. Probably about 1000 watts or more. Thoughts please.

Seems like every State has their own rules for NET metering and each utility provider has their own versions which can vary widely. Any grid tie system has to be approved by the utility and they usually have to install a bi-directional or 2 channel meter once they grant Permission to Operate. Building/Electrical permits are determined by your City or County. For a more specific answer, please post your location. In any case, I would recommend doing some research. In Calif. its becoming much less favorable to do NET metering and just go with a self consumption/peak load shave system using batteries.

I’m in San Francisco California. The rates are crazy. Seems like the man wants his money here. Do those grid tie inverters even last ? They seem pretty cheap.

You are in PG&E territory I believe, they are the worst of the big 3 electric utilities that operate here. Calif is in the process of converting over to Time-of-Use metering with truly obscene summer rates between 4 and 9pm. In my opinion you should be looking at a system that can do Peak Load Shaving during those evening hours and provide a minimum of a few hours of battery back-up during rolling black outs and flex alerts.

Most name brand (higher priced) hybrid or grid-tie inverters are very dependable. Fronius, SMA, SolarEdge, Outback, Schneider, Magnum, Enphase, Victron Etc. You maybe confusing terminology and associating the multitude of problems with "value priced" All-In-One Inverters as discussed here on this forum with grid tie. Growatt and MPP Solar are not bad products but they are not premium products either.

Yes I’m definitely learning and trying to understand the terminology. Pge is horrible. Everyone on this site is been very nice and understanding to newbies too.

Back