diy solar

diy solar

Off-Grid - System Reivew

kiteoregon

I have a small cabin that is 100% off grid. Today there are 3 separate 45W systems w/charge controllers and single batteries with each panel. I am building a 50x54 shop and will need more capabilities so I want to build a system that can scale to eventually run the shop and potentially charge the tesla. In the summer this will be used about 4 days / week and in the winter probably only 6 days / month. We do not have or expect to have a well at this location.

Here is what I am thinking to start:
* GroWatt SPF5000ES
* 5kW MidPoint Auto Transformer
* (6) 100W SanTan Panels (series - 225.6 Volts)
* (4) Valence RT Series U1-12RT Lithium Iron Magnesium Phosphate (48V system)
* Load distribution center
* 5200 Generator (manual start) for now with a larger diesel generator down the road

Mainly the use will be power tools to help build the shop, lights (led) and charging of all the batteries for the cordless tools. We would like to keep the system on all the time and keep the internet, weather station, 3 or 4 cameras, and a fridge to keep the beer cold.

Roughly 5.1 hours of sun per the location of the cabin.

Thanks for the feedback & recommendations.

It seems your inverter is large but your battery and panel sizing is small.

My goal is to grow the system over the next 24 months as we get the shop built. I expect to add more solar and more batteries as the needs get more demanding.

My goal is to grow the system over the next 24 months as we get the shop built. I expect to add more solar and more batteries as the needs get more demanding.
Not sure what you are paying for 100watt panels but 300watt even with truck frieght shipping might be a better long term goal.

Back