diy solar

diy solar

Off-Grid System with 50A plug in for 5th Wheel

dbeckman6

Looking for advice on system and setup for an off-grid system, to be installed on a 10x12 auxiliary building located 80' from 5th wheel. I am looking to set up an off-grid system and run a 50a seervice outlet to plug in 5th wheel. Looking to avoid installing all the inverter, charge controller, etc in the 5th wheel, instead installing in auxilary building, and running sevice to plug into 5th wheel.

Not entirely sure of power requirements at this time, it is winter in California and not running any A/C, but my 3,000w inverter generator runs toaster, fireplace and microwave at the same time. Looking to get a system powerful enough to run similar and greater, without having to fill up the generator to watch TV and power some appliances.

Thanks

Friend, I built a power shed and it feeds my house.
power shed = aux building, house = fifth wheel.
Same game make it smaller.
The only thing the fifth wheel will get is the 115VAC service. Everything else lives in the shed.
Solar Power Plant / Shed
Hope it helps you in some way!

Looking for advice on system and setup for an off-grid system, to be installed on a 10x12 auxiliary building located 80' from 5th wheel. I am looking to set up an off-grid system and run a 50a seervice outlet to plug in 5th wheel. Looking to avoid installing all the inverter, charge controller, etc in the 5th wheel, instead installing in auxilary building, and running sevice to plug into 5th wheel.

Not entirely sure of power requirements at this time, it is winter in California and not running any A/C, but my 3,000w inverter generator runs toaster, fireplace and microwave at the same time. Looking to get a system powerful enough to run similar and greater, without having to fill up the generator to watch TV and power some appliances.

Thanks
Your 50 amp rv has an very inefficient ac2dc converter for all the legacy 12 volts items.
So you will be converting dc to ac from transmission to the 5th with at ~85% efficiency and then back to dc at ~70% efficiency.
Each 12 volt legacy watt requires approximately 1.68 watts from the remote system.

Doable but inefficient.

Is your generator 120/240VAC or 120VAC?
At 3000 watts I suspect it is only 120VAC.
If yes, does that mean it is only energizing half the panel?

Thanks
Your 50 amp service is probably 220 volt, or 2- 110 volt legs. You can use the same cord you plug into campsite power with, they make them 100 feet long. Then, you can place your entire system in a shed or out building, safely away from camper and just wire an auxiliary type breaker panel in the shed for safety and shut off. Many manufacturers make 220 volt inverters, I use Genetry and like it a bunch; American company and serviced here. Good luck with your project!

Your 50 amp service is probably 220 volt, or 2- 110 volt legs.
The special thing about 50 amp service in an rv is the panels don't interleave the hots so they cannot support double pole breakers.
That means no 240 volt loads.

Last edited:
Back