diy solar

diy solar

Off-Grid Utility Room Completed

Love the live edge on the boot bench seat. I need to build a new boot bench and you gave me a great idea. I will go live edge on the seat and as I have a window above the boot bench I might just use a live edge on the backboard. Thanks.

Very nice house, you deserve the praise for your hard work and end result.
Just FYI mine is maple and weighs a ton. I’m going to put a couple struts on it to make it more manageable for the old lady.

Wow! That looks incredible! You did that all yourself?

Absolutely love those wood beams -- very cozy! The modern bathroom/toilet and the windows are also excellent choices. Guessing that was the wife's idea? Is that stove a mass heater? Did you go with roof mounted solar panels?

I will be hiring a GC to do it all (I'm a scrawny female that can't lift more than 40 lbs). House will be in South Georgia where heat is the main concern so it is designed for passive cooling even without power. It has a closed floorplan to control the heat between rooms and the doggo traffic (ie to keep the kitchen heat out of the rest of the house in summer).
Thank you. The utilities and interior is all me with lots of advice from the wifey. I had help with the slab and timber framing. That little dude on the saw is an awesome timber framer and I’m the guy burning the Timbers. Only 6 pairs oh hands total have touched the place.

Nice looking design. True southern styling. Best of luck with the build.

Attachments

• EBFE6639-5AC3-4CA3-A350-2A86DCB00D76.jpeg
    EBFE6639-5AC3-4CA3-A350-2A86DCB00D76.jpeg
    525.8 KB · Views: 20
Wow! That looks incredible! You did that all yourself?

Absolutely love those wood beams -- very cozy! The modern bathroom/toilet and the windows are also excellent choices. Guessing that was the wife's idea? Is that stove a mass heater? Did you go with roof mounted solar panels?

I will be hiring a GC to do it all (I'm a scrawny female that can't lift more than 40 lbs). House will be in South Georgia where heat is the main concern so it is designed for passive cooling even without power. It has a closed floorplan to control the heat between rooms and the doggo traffic (ie to keep the kitchen heat out of the rest of the house in summer).
S610 - can I make a suggestion on your floor plan?

Given you want to have doors for animal traffic control I think you said. You might consider using a few pocket doors. Like going into the bathroom and kitchen.

Door swings take a lot of square footage up when you are building a small home.

S610 - can I make a suggestion on your floor plan?

Given you want to have doors for animal traffic control I think you said. You might consider using a few pocket doors. Like going into the bathroom and kitchen.

Door swings take a lot of square footage up when you are building a small home.
Great point! It has one pocket door now for the master bedroom (to pair with a wrought iron wine gate for dog control) and I will probably put another one in the bathroom if the wall clearance allows. A pocket door would also work well for the pantry but I think a stronger door with a deadbolt (for opsec) might be better.

I live in a 650 sq ft house now so I am constantly trying to visualize the amount of useable space.

Back