diy solar

diy solar

Off grid v grid tie panels

TomTilly

Is there a difference between panels you would use for an off grid system versus a panel you would use for a grid tie system?

Happily a Solar Panel is a Solar Panel not much difference.
Solar Farms do tend to use larger panels 72-cells plus and newer ones use Bi-Facial panels (where appropriate)/

Is there a difference between panels you would use for an off grid system versus a panel you would use for a grid tie system?
It depends - if the off grid is a very small system then you might only be using small sized portable lower voltage solar panels. Otherwise you can use them in either scenario equally well.

It depends - if the off grid is a very small system then you might only be using small sized portable lower voltage solar panels. Otherwise you can use them in either scenario equally well.
I was thinking like code compliance for equipment that is conn to the grid. I’m here in California and I’m installing a grid tie system without backup using micro inverters from Enphase. I know you have to match the micro inverter specs but is there any “residential code compliance “ for just the panel? The MC4 from the panel just connects right to the inputs on the iq7+ micro inverter.

I think a lot of used panels can't be used in a grid application. I know mine had the labels stripped off, so likely would not pass an inspection. Off grid, it's not as important as long as the panels are legit.

but is there any “residential code compliance “ for just the panel?
That will be something you'd have to check locally.

e.g. in Australia any panel installed on a new / upgraded grid tied system must be on the approved list at the time of installation. They can be used panels but it would be unusual for used panels to still be on the current approved list as panels drop off that list all the time. They'd need to be pretty new used panels.

I think a lot of used panels can't be used in a grid application. I know mine had the labels stripped off, so likely would not pass an inspection. Off grid, it's not as important as long as the panels are legit.
Most utilities require new panels for grid-tie systems, and they check to see if they're new by first checking to see if the label is intact. They may do additional inspection(s) beyond that.

Back