diy solar

diy solar

Off-grid with utility “backup”

Mhoward84

So I am looking to get an off-grid setup with 9-10kw solar, 3x MPP Solar LV6548 hybrid inverters and a 14-15kwh lifepo4 battery.

What I have in my mind currently is that I can have the panels going into the inverter, then the three inverters connecting in parallel to my panel, and then disconnecting the utility from the panel, and then run utility power from the panel to the “backup AC input” on my inverters with an auto AC transfer switch in case the inverters go down. I have two AC units and they require a 50 and 40 amp circuit, respectively. These inverters can’t feed power back to the grid and I am wondering:
1- do I still need to get grid tie permits from the utility if I don’t feed it back?
2- my home has a 200A master breaker on the house, each inverter sends out 120v/50a and by putting them in parallel I should still get a constant 150a if needed with burst up to 240a (80a max rating on inverter). Does this sound right?
3- is this a bad idea? I am also looking to possibly Airbnb the home for a few months while I head out of town, is this going to be a problem for me and for rental reliability?

I’m working my way through details and I still have much to learn but I’m trying to put together as much as I can before going on this journey and want to get some experienced feedback if possible. Thanks in advance for any info!

edit: my goal is to have a system that keeps running if the utility company goes down, without the “just connect your solar to another plug and wire around the house”

Last edited:
I havn't started yet but I've been tossing around an almost identical idea using 3 Sol-Ark 12k inverters into my main panel for my business. It's in Cali where power cost a fortune and we get days long blackouts due to an aging grid.

Back