diy solar

diy solar

Off topic... but help please (Gorilla Glue)

Jbamps

I know this is way off of the forum's general direction, but i'm doing a campervan conversion and have come across some heavy duty glue under the wood covering the interior wheel arch. Any tips on removing this please. I'v heard about acetone but not sure if this will damage the metal??
ioUnknown-1.jpeg

Some people use dry ice to remove sound deadening from under carpets. That may help here, turn it brittle and then see if you can scrape or maybe chip it off. Good luck!

Some people use dry ice to remove sound deadening from under carpets. That may help here, turn it brittle and then see if you can scrape or maybe chip it off. Good luck!
I'll try. Thank you

Likely polyurethane which is tough stuff once cured. Acetone good for clean up before polyurethane totally cures but only works a little after cured. Some paint removers work better if they mention polyurethane in their label.

If it's like the stuff that was used in my RV, I had to use a chisel to take off. Mine was on the ceiling so dry ice would have been difficult there. I would give the dry ice a try for sure. If that doesn't work, maybe a heat gun.

You could also try soaking it in mineral spirits. It may not dissolve the adhesive, but it may help release the bond the adhesive has on the metal.

If you use acetone be aware it is very aggressive to many types of plastic, if there is any plastic in the area you don't want trashed, use caution.

If it's like the stuff that was used in my RV, I had to use a chisel to take off. Mine was on the ceiling so dry ice would have been difficult there. I would give the dry ice a try for sure. If that doesn't work, maybe a heat gun.

You could also try soaking it in mineral spirits. It may not dissolve the adhesive, but it may help release the bond the adhesive has on the metal.
Have no idea where to get dry ice, but on my way to screw fix and its surrounding DiY shops now to get EVERYTHING mentioned by all of you above.

paint removers work better if they mention polyurethane in their label.

Thank you

If you use acetone be aware it is very aggressive to many types of plastic, if there is any plastic in the area you don't want trashed, use caution.

Thank you

I used acetone in a similar problem without making things worse, but I think you should play it safe and use something with a big temperature difference like ice or heating. In my case, the glue was quite easy to remove since it had not yet had time to completely dry. We ordered some glue guns from here https://toolschief.com/best-hot-glue-gun/ and my less experienced colleague decided to try it out when I wasn't there. When I came and saw this, I quickly corrected the situation with acetone without damaging the metal. I may have made a hasty decision and just got lucky, but it ended well.

Last edited:
I have not had good luck with acetone for cured glue like that. Usually mechanical removal (aka chisel/pudy knife) You can go hot (heat gun- scrape it up) or cold with dry ice (fracture it/break it off)

Back