diy solar

diy solar

Offgrid Racetruck/ Motorhome

Gents, getting my power audit together, this Truma AC unit is confusing me (an electrician...!!!) in respect of it's stated power consumption @ 2400w and amps @ 4.2a. At 240v a current draw of 4.2a is 1kw all day long so how do they get 4.2a from a 2400w unit..??Screenshot (200).png

Ac output capacity's are not the same as input consumption. There is an over efficiency factor.
1Kw in for 2. 4 out sounds like it's not even that efficient for an ac.

Remember, it's cooling Capacity not cooling consumption.
Hi George, so it's cooling capacity of 2400w is not directly proportional to it's consumption of 4.2amps..??? I'm failing to understand this and showing my novice status somewhat here.......

I forget the technicalities but something to do with pulling energy, hot and cold, out the air from the atmosphere. Probably put that badly, I used to be all over this and had a real interest in AC but I have forgotten more than I remember now. It's something to do with the phase change of taking a liquid to a gas and vice versa but as I used to say, it is the one actual instance I know of what some would call over unity.

You get more heating or cooling energy than what you put in electrically because the other energy comes from the atmosphere on the condenser ( outdoor) side. Pretty sure that the real efficient units are up around 4:1 now.

You have to remember one is electrical energy and one is thermal energy and there is a conversion taking place in between. Best you look it up for a better explanation and understanding that what I am giving you.

The takeaway is that no, this is not wrong, it's the advantage of heat pumps is their great efficiency over the nearest comparison of resistance heating both in spce heating and the newer heat pump water heating.
I get you now, bit like when a wood burner output is spec'd in 'KW's sometimes even though not electric.

Back