diy solar

diy solar

OFFGRID SOLAR FOR GUARD HOUSE LEADING TO THE FARM IN GCC

AMGE123

Dear All, I am planning to install Solar on My guard House for my farm, We will need approximately 30Kilowatt Power every day from the solar, to run the Automatic Road Gate Barrier , CCTV Camera , Lights , Sockets, 0.5Hp Pump for Water, Solar Air conditioner 12000 BTU 48V DC. The Load at One time will be not more than 3.0 Kilowatts considering all the above equipment's and solar air-conditioner. The preferred battery would be LiFePo4 With a battery Autonomy of 2-3 days, The location is Middle east GCC with good sunshine for more than 6 Hrs. daily. I am looking for the best possible Solar Offgrid system , that will keep my Guard House and Its equipment's running. There is absolutely no Grid power available in the location. Looking forward to you guys support and cooperation, recommendations. Please provide a complete solution that will recommend the No of Panels, Batteries, Charge controllers, Inverters type and capacity, fuses, disconnects, load breakers, Best voltage recommended for the system, and other components essential to keep my system running without any worries.

yes please see the actual load details for your kind perusal

Attachments

• Load Chart PVSYS.jpeg
    Load Chart PVSYS.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 22
In the early design stage it can be beneficial to work backwards from your budget rather than design the ideal system with no budget in mind. I've spent a lot of time working on detail designs only to floor someone when they see how much it's going to cost.

Do you have a budget yet?

In the early design stage it can be beneficial to work backwards from your budget rather than design the ideal system with no budget in mind. I've spent a lot of time working on detail designs only to floor someone when they see how much it's going to cost.

Do you have a budget yet?
And greetings! You're in the right place to get some help.

And greetings! You're in the right place to get some help.
Hi; thanks for your reply and concern, my requirement is specific and i have to do it without any choice, money is secondary , system is crucial, so please go ahead with your design, i can send you a pic of the installation once i had done that, and if i found that your design is suitable for my setup.

Hi; thanks for your reply and concern, my requirement is specific and i have to do it without any choice, money is secondary , system is crucial, so please go ahead with your design, i can send you a pic of the installation once i had done that, and if i found that your design is suitable for my setup.
If money is secondary then why not get an electrical contractor that specializes in solar there in Dubai to provide you a turn key solution for your guard house?

If money is secondary then why not get an electrical contractor that specializes in solar there in Dubai to provide you a turn key solution for your guard house?
Here i am learning things to do my self with the help of a forum and likeminded people , who wont mind sharing valuable solar informations, i would defenitely do that if my expectations from forum fails, at the end of the day i need to fix them

Here i am learning things to do my self with the help of a forum and likeminded people , who wont mind sharing valuable solar informations, i would defenitely do that if my expectations from forum fails, at the end of the day i need to fix them
This forum is more for people who experience a problem and share the info and get feedback how to avoid/fix it.
Imo it sounds what you want is a complete 'howto', expect nothing to pay for it, from people in different part of the world who have no experience with both the legal/electric requirements where you are in the world. It does not sounds like a successful recipe to me.
Plus the info you give seems totally random.
Eg you start with saying 33kW , i ask "33kWh ?"
And then you give a screenshot of calculation that shows 18.9kWh/day
At that point I don't feel that any advice would be valid, since the input isn't consistent.

Last edited:
What you are asking for is well beyond "sharing". No one here can pick out every single component for you right down the qty and sizes of fuses. If that's what you want you need to pay an engineer to do that because that sort detailed system design will take many hours if not days. Not something you want to ask a bunch of keyboard warriors to do for free and by committee at that.

Why don't you spend some time making a drawing detailing things the best you can then ask for input on specific parts of it? Help us help you learn.

Have you looked for example systems?

Here's a great start. Victron System Schematics

If i would confirm to that it is 18.80 KW On a daily basis, will you be able to help me in the design.

First off, need to know your voltages.
In the U.S. we use 120V, 120/240V split-phase, 120/208Y 3-phase at 60 Hz, and other voltages.
The European model Sunny Islands are 230V and 230/400Y 3-phase at 50 Hz.

For 3-phase, about 18kW continuous from 3x Sunny Island and battery at night (given enough storage, and assuming a comfortable 25 degrees C ambient).
For single or split-phase, up to 24kW from 4x Sunny Island.
Daytime, depends on connected grid-tie PV inverters Sunny Boy or Sunny TriPower, which can be twice as much wattage as battery inverters Sunny Island.
There is "derating" to reduced power in hotter temperatures, see data sheets and manuals.
Larger systems can also be assembled (which they call "multi-cluster") if you want to expand, e.g. for more buildings.

You also need to select a battery, which will have its own environmental requirements. Will last longer if kept in an airconditioned enclosure.

SMA has good support, and I think local offices for your area. Contact them to see which models are available and recommended for an off-grid system with your daytime and nighttime wattage needs. I have a list of compatible models for the Americas, not sure which models for your market.

First off, need to know your voltages.
In the U.S. we use 120V, 120/240V split-phase, 120/208Y 3-phase at 60 Hz, and other voltages.
The European model Sunny Islands are 230V and 230/400Y 3-phase at 50 Hz.

For 3-phase, about 18kW continuous from 3x Sunny Island and battery at night (given enough storage, and assuming a comfortable 25 degrees C ambient).
For single or split-phase, up to 24kW from 4x Sunny Island.
Daytime, depends on connected grid-tie PV inverters Sunny Boy or Sunny TriPower, which can be twice as much wattage as battery inverters Sunny Island.
There is "derating" to reduced power in hotter temperatures, see data sheets and manuals.
Larger systems can also be assembled (which they call "multi-cluster") if you want to expand, e.g. for more buildings.

You also need to select a battery, which will have its own environmental requirements. Will last longer if kept in an airconditioned enclosure.

SMA has good support, and I think local offices for your area. Contact them to see which models are available and recommended for an off-grid system with your daytime and nighttime wattage needs. I have a list of compatible models for the Americas, not sure which models for your market.
Thank you so much, yes we do have an office for SMA here in UAE, and i plan to buy SMA components from one of their authorized vendors, and they do assist in installation , however after we purchase them from them only, i was planning to understand the system before i can purchase them, the voltage here is 230 - 240V 50 Hz , The system does not have any 3 Phase load, so i can manage with single phase i believe, rest of it i will take suggestions from your message, that so nice to hear from you, thank for the time, Infact the Total Load i was refering to is Approximately 2.5 KWh only, and they would consume around 21,000 Watts in 24 hrs on an average.Thanks

For that low a wattage, SMA's hybrid inverter might meet your needs.
One box with PV panels and battery connected to it.
It is 3-phase, so you would put various loads on different phases.
Most important thing to find out is if it will be able to start motors such as A/C compressor. Inverter's power is spread across the three phases, 12000VA for 10 seconds which would be 4000VA on one phase. I would guess that's enough to start a small A/C with 800W rating, may not be enough for you. But, if the A/C is inverter drive (typical of mini-split) it may not have any surge. A 3-phase A/C would be another option.
The other significant point is it uses a high-voltage battery. You need to determine if price and capacity are acceptable.
(Most of us use either lower cost 48V lithium or lead-acid.)

(Compare that 12000VA or 4000VA to 44000VA from four Sunny Islands, an expensive but expandable and powerful setup.)

For that low a wattage, SMA's hybrid inverter might meet your needs.
One box with PV panels and battery connected to it.
It is 3-phase, so you would put various loads on different phases.
Most important thing to find out is if it will be able to start motors such as A/C compressor. Inverter's power is spread across the three phases, 12000VA for 10 seconds which would be 4000VA on one phase. I would guess that's enough to start a small A/C with 800W rating, may not be enough for you. But, if the A/C is inverter drive (typical of mini-split) it may not have any surge. A 3-phase A/C would be another option.
The other significant point is it uses a high-voltage battery. You need to determine if price and capacity are acceptable.
(Most of us use either lower cost 48V lithium or lead-acid.)

(Compare that 12000VA or 4000VA to 44000VA from four Sunny Islands, an expensive but expandable and powerful setup.)
Thank you

Back