diy solar

diy solar

Ok ,so now it starts..

JRH

Solar Wizard
Simple put… I unplugged yesterday. Period….. I have a house , a mobile home a nice tool shed and a 35 ft rv….all in the mtns, out in the sticks.
I choose to live in the Rv… it’s fun…my wife disagrees and lives in the house…?…we get along better that way..
I am building this for powering the Rv…
The solar build has taken a while to get done but from here out no more grid… many of you have helped me and I thank you.
it’s much like when you commission or build a boat , it’s called a shake down cruise ..you try it out…for real..
you will see what you did right and also what you did wrong…. Been there few times…

I need to know for sure what I need to live totaly independent of any outside power source Other than the sun….
I will continue this venture Untill I see if and what I should have done different … if it all works then I will continue indefinitely …if it won’t then I will stop , modify and continue..… regardless of results I I will not borrow from the other structures having the grid…

To me there is no other way than to go cold turkey ..I will not use any propane… ( that would be cheating) …I will not use a gen set..( that would be cheating)…the power to live comfortably will only come from the batts and what sun they have been charged with.
will it be perfect …no…. Will the wife participate…. Ha ha ha…NO….will I learn what more if any I need to do , YES.

If I can’t live good on what I have now , then I am a poor ass sailor..

PS…. So far , It’s all working great… screw the grid…..
J.

Last edited:
Go JimH Go !
meanwhile I will watch from a safe distance...and learn all I can from your experiment.
I will let you know… i have 12 years experience living on a 42 ft sail boat with 2 damn FLA batteries ….and learning how to adapt to less than city’s living standards… im not worried… it will be fun… at this point in life few things are fun anymore…
A man needs fun in his life , or why would he want to stay here.

If the wife isn't participating isn't that in-and-of-itself cheating?
Uhhh ,duhhh, I want to succeed and preserve my presence of mind…she’s a great person for sure but she didn’t build it or understand …….let’s just let it go at that… this is supposed to be a spiritualy uplifting post…
in my world , cheating involves a 25 yr old secretary… not a bunch of Victron stuff and wires

Last edited:
Ya might want to build a list of all the loads you are, or are planning to use.
Get a handle on how much power you are using.
See how much battery you will be using each day, then know how much solar you are going to need to collect.

Uhhh ,duhhh, I want to succeed and preserve my presence of mind…and she didn’t build it or understand it or even know what it is… let’s just let it go at that… this is supposed to be a spiritualy uplifting post…
in my world , cheating involves a 25 yr old secretary… not a bunch of Victron stuff and wires
And it's cheaper than the 25 yr old ... On so MANY levels.

Ya might want to build a list of all the loads you are, or are planning to use.
Get a handle on how much power you are using.
See how much battery you will be using each day, then know how much solar you are going to need to collect.
That’s good advice… I have and am doing just that… everything on now except the microwave…
( adjust usage to run that) .. it’s dark …it about bed time… I am playing with what to run just because I can… haaa …everything all night Is possible but won’t do it.. but I could if I need to and still have about 30% in the morn… with my panels tilted , I will be full by 1.00 …then start over .

.this is fun…wife wants to know why I’m dancing around the yard at 8.00am and Screaming praise at the sky…It’s because it’s fun babe…fun is a real thing…. remember fun……?

thanks guy… I got it at ,least for now. We will see Soon.

And it's cheaper than the 25 yr old ... On so MANY levels.
Yea , but there’s a lot to be said for 25… but I will just mess with my gear at this point… it’s a new world … and I’m not new…

That’s good advice… I have and am doing just that… everything on now except the microwave…
( adjust usage to run that) .. it’s dark …it about bed time… I am playing with what to run just because I can… haaa …everything all night Is possible but won’t do it.. but I could if I need to and still have about 30% in the morn… with my panels tilted , I will be full by 1.00 …then start over .

.this is fun…wife wants to know why I’m dancing around the yard at 8.00am and Screaming praise at the sky…It’s because it’s fun babe…fun is a real thing…. remember fun……?

thanks guy… I got it at ,least for now. We will see Soon.
At about 11.00 pm eastern, just turned off the space heater( it’s cold here in the mtns) . Heres a snapshot of the present specs …should be fine till morn and then comes my buddy, the Sun.. will try different twists and turns tomorrow… this is cool…

Attachments

• IMG_1031.png
    IMG_1031.png
    287 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Tym
Go JimH Go !
meanwhile I will watch from a safe distance...and learn all I can from your experiment.
After thinking about it , I like that word .. this is an “experiment” ..yea…like a lab experiment sorta…..with tests , controls , data measuring devices , meters, scopes ,a zillion tools tools and more….

I have always admired scientists …
I think I need a huge green chalkboard to write numbers and equations on,….maybe a podium to speak from…….and a long white lab coat……those coats look very scientific…..

damn, this will be fun,,,,,,I’m Gona start being a scientist…

Hey , great concept mr offgrid guy , thanks for the idea…

No generator reliance? Focus on the battery storage. Plan for a week of poor weather or a bad storm damaging your solar panels. Once you have that figured out, you're done. Having enough batteries could be expensive, but you can always creep back into the house and admit defeat if things go wrong.

The proud sometimes experience sharp pains.

No generator reliance? Focus on the battery storage. Plan for a week of poor weather or a bad storm damaging your solar panels. Once you have that figured out, you're done. Having enough batteries could be expensive, but you can always creep back into the house and admit defeat if things go wrong.

The proud sometimes experience sharp pains.
Actually you’re correct, I appreciate your thoughts as they are solid… but when playing poker ya must keep the face and the stare…
haaaa one lightning strike across the pasture and this system could be done for…one stray ‘06 round from a goofy hunter…yeow… many things could mess this up… in a NY minute.!
I’m not proud, I’m not confident, I’m scared I’m gona electrocute myself half the time… Im not very good at this comparatively speaking to MANYYYY of the forum folks... But by golly I will take a shot.
im just doing what ive always done…. Study , listen, learn , buy good stufff, Do the best ya can ,,,dive in….
sink or swim….
There is no second place….

Uhhh ,duhhh, I want to succeed and preserve my presence of mind…she’s a great person for sure but she didn’t build it or understand …….let’s just let it go at that… this is supposed to be a spiritualy uplifting post…

If MY wife knew what thoughts bounced around MY head about my Victron stuff... She might regard it as cheating... :p

Back