diy solar

diy solar

OK to coil excess wire (solar panels <-> solar charger/Delta Pro)?

kazooks

Excited to join this world of solar power and batteries, and hopefully I can help contribute to the knowledge base as I learn, so thank you in advance for any help!

Recently purchased DeltaPro as a portable option as I learn/research more into the world of solar, and will be planning on a 6s string of 100w BougeRV 9bb panels. Based on the specs of the panels (~21.4Voc, Max power 5.51A), It appears I'll be looking at 128.4 Voc, 5.51A. If it looks good, perhaps I'll add a parallel string of the same if bumping up amperage helps with the recharge rate, but the wire in question is running from between the panels to the solar charge controller in the DP.

To keep things simple as I'm learning, I'm just going to buy the "plug n play" 40ft. 8AWG Cables from Will's site, but is it ok if some of the excess coiled when in use? I'm fairly ignorant (but trying to learn ASAP) about electricity, and vaguely recall electricity creates magnetic fields and vice versa, so coiling could produce resistance. At most we're talking about 5-10 ft. of coiled cable, but would that introduce any issues if I kept the full length to keep things flexible for the future, or would there be any sort of resistance that excess would create? At the guage and amperage, I assume this isn't an issue, but wanted to double check if there were a standard operating procedure if in the future if I try to push the amps and wattage up. And apologies if this is a stupid question!

Delta Pro Specs:
Solar Charge: 11-150v 15A Max, 1600wMax
Battery Capacity (I assume this is "battery bank voltage?"): 3600Wh, 48v

In general, you want to keep your wire as short as possible to avoid losses. However, it wouldn't matter that much given your high voltage, low distance, and low amps. I've seen will coil wire in his videos before showing off a very similar situation so you should be fine.

Back