diy solar

diy solar

OKAI Battery BMS - Arduino Controller Nano vs Pro Mini

sshibly

Solar Enthusiast
Guten Tag von Michigan!

Calling Arduino gurus,

I picked up some of Jehu's OKAI scooter batteries, 36v with the funky BMS that can be turned on using an Arduino,

in the link he has Arduino Pro Mini that he sells, that has the program loaded to send the 5 byte keep alive signal.

I have a few Arduino Nano (Orig, made in Italy) in my stash.

Will this Arduino Nano work instead of the Pro Mini [ATMega128]?

Can I program the Nano directly from my laptop? or do I need a CP2102 module to connect the Arduino Nano via the ICSP connector?

Update:
Well what do you know, Jehu also sells Nanos

I am guessing I should be able to program my nano also?
I just bought one of his preprogrammed nanos.

Nano - I hard time installing the USB driver, I had to manually pick the device and install it.
I programmed the Nano, it uses USB power and it is more than 3.3v
I don't have the BUCK converter that will do 42v or more to 3.3v arrrgh.

You only need a buck converter to get to 5v, and use the voltage regulator on the usb connection to power the nano.
Found this:
Hope this helps. :)
I ordered buck converters from aliexpress and ebay, but they are on their way.
Jehu posted a nice buck conv on mouser but those are like $11 a pop.

It did not make sense to spend time on something I can buy from Jehu, he sells prebuilt units, I dropped MORE money on the connectors than the flipping f'ing scooter batteries, lol,
I need to schedule a session with my shrink! :)

I'm a little late to the party, but I make a buck converter and arduino like device all in one for these batteries. my latest version has solderless screw terminals. They come preprogrammed and have the 6 pin avr-isp header exposed if you ever wish to reprogram them.

Available directly at www.faustianbargain.org or https://www.tindie.com/stores/faust/

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210506_065445.jpg
    IMG_20210506_065445.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 5
I'm a little late to the party, but I make a buck converter and arduino like device all in one for these batteries. my latest version has solderless screw terminals. They come preprogrammed and have the 6 pin avr-isp header exposed if you ever wish to reprogram them.

Available directly at www.faustianbargain.org or https://www.tindie.com/stores/faust/

Thanks
Aaron,
Good update to the item, you are not late at all,
I just received my high voltage bucks few weeks back from China.

Hey, I need 4 more unit, would it be possible to get one without the solderless screw terminals?
I am trying to keep a low profile to seal it from elements.

Thanks for making a great product!

Last edited:
Aaron,
Good update to the item, you are not late at all,
I just received my high voltage bucks few weeks back from China.

Hey, I need 4 more unit, would it be possible to get one without the solderless screw terminals?
I am trying to keep a low profile to seal it from elements.

Thanks for making a great product!
yeah if you send me a message with your order I can unsolder the terminals before I send them out. it will be about a week before I get my next batch of 50 in. the last batch went rather quick.

yeah if you send me a message with your order I can unsolder the terminals before I send them out. it will be about a week before I get my next batch of 50 in. the last batch went rather quick.
Sounds good, I will place an order in a few, Thanks!

Back