diy solar

diy solar

On-Grid Inverter wiring

DarrenH

I have searched around for a clear explanation of this but cannot seem to find it anywhere. I looking at expanding my small stand-alone setup to become connected with my house wiring. Rough plan will be to add more panels and something like a 6kW inverter (still deciding on exactly which one).

But my question is, how does this connect in with my consumer unit? The inverters I've seen have 1 AC out, no AC input, so does this just sit parallel with the grid AC, or do I need to use some kind of transfer switch? Also what if I spike up above 6kW, will it take all it can from the Solar, and top up the rest from the grid, or will it just not work?

Thanks in advance,
Darren.

Grid tie inverters get connected as you stated to a circuit breaker and they push the power backward into the grid by increasing the voltage causing the current to flow into the grid.

Most people now have a smart meter and your power company will likely know the minute you start back feeding into the grid. Also the meter is normally set to charge for power no mater what direction the energy is flowing so if you back feed the grid and send it power, you will likely be charged as if you used the power even though you sent it back into the grid.

Look at a hybrid inverter to store the power with a battery.

OK Interesting, thanks.

So ignoring the grid side of the question for now. Does that mean the inverter will increase voltage to take its produced power over the grids supply? If so thats an interesting bit of science I didnt know!

Does that then take from both supplies when the load/usage is greater than the inverter is giving me?

Thanks,Darren.

OK Interesting, thanks.

So ignoring the grid side of the question for now. Does that mean the inverter will increase voltage to take its produced power over the grids supply? YES If so thats an interesting bit of science I didnt know!

Does that then take from both supplies when the load/usage is greater than the inverter is giving me? The grid tie inverter will push back the power as much as it max can.....If you pull power more then the inverter can supply it will be a blend of the grid and the inverter.

Thanks,Darren.

What inverter do you have? Sounds like a standalone unit.

You cannot simply wire your inverter output to the same as your grid connection. You'll blow stuff up.

What inverter do you have? Sounds like a standalone unit.

You cannot simply wire your inverter output to the same as your grid connection. You'll blow stuff up.
Im looking at getting a Growatt 6000TL X, its for a UK setup.

Back