diy solar

diy solar

One 100W panel, two deep cycle marine batteries, 1500W inverter - trying to power a Freezer.

0.45 is Amps, 0.62 is PF, 56.1 is VA. I put it back on house power last night, as the battery voltage dropped below 12, and I had read somewhere that was not good. Got the batteries on a charger. Also, the 1500 watt inverter alarms at 10.5 and shuts down at 10 Volts. Thats good, I guess, but if the batteries can be ruined below 12, that does not seem to be a good safety feature... Also, I saw, with interest, that Tesla is producing 420 Watt panels. Not sure if there is a proprietary controller, or if any would do. Any thoughts on that?
Reset the meter, put some water bottles (that won't explode from freezing) etc into the freezer so it's not just running empty, and let the freezer run for a few days with the meter running, that gives you a better idea of how much power it needs over time. Ideally you do this with any device you plan on running on battery+solar.

Let me be clear, though: you'll need some new equipment no matter what. 100W simply isn't enough.

Thanks. I am really getting interested in maybe doing solar on the roof, instead of a whole house generator, Particularly because with solar, there is some payback, that there isn't in the Generac. My house is called a salt box and the two ends point 50 and 210 degrees, the 50 end is short and the 210 end is long. I have trees in the rear, where the winter sun would be. But with 420 Watt panels, I would not need as many and could put them at the front of the house away from the trees. It might be a problem in fall, before all the leave fall off, but, it still might be worth it. I am guessing with the Tesla 420 that I might need a Tesla controller, heard he had a special inverter. Generac said I needed a 22KV generator. So it sounds like, at 400Watts I would need 55 panels. Not sure how you would wire that. Need to do research. I have a CMTP02 5Amp 12/24 controller, I suppose it is MPPT. I have the solar connected to a 15 foot freezer that does not have frost free, So I am now testing that one.

have the solar connected to a 15 foot freezer that does not have frost free, So I am now testing
Where did you wind up with this?
Started out running two freezers, seems to have jumped to 5500W?
Some good input here, but also I couple opinions that suggest huge Wh needs that may not be necessary in practical use.
So I’m curious what you’ve come up with, or still planning.

Depending on where you live and the time of year. Just the 1500 Watt inverter alone running 24/7 with no load might be more than your 100W panel puts out per day. What's the "peak" Watts high noon in the summer you get to that battery? 80-85W? If you average 70W to the battery after wiring and PWM losses for 5 hours in the summer. That's 70x5 = 350 Watt hours a day. If the inverter draws 15 watts idle x 24 that's 360 Watt hours a day. In the Winter you'll only get a portion of the output.

Back