diy solar

diy solar

one 24v 100ah or two 12v 100ah??

kaizday

hello all

i am considering a 24v setup and thinking of going with Ampere Time. they have 2 versions of the 100ah and i was wondering if anything i should be considering beside the size, the convenience of having one vs two, and an extra wire to series connect them, but being 'stuck' to a 24v, lol?

would having 2 BMS be a bad thing?

thank you very much.

Last edited:
What are the max continuous charge/discharge currents? That might be a factor to think about.

Are you building a DIY battery or buying a plug-n-play battery?
i am considering plug and play right now. ampere time to be specific due to budget. i dont need the low temperature cut off so i think I'll be fine w this.

Sorry I read right past the Ampere Time you mentioned in your original post. Two 12V 100ah seem to be cheaper than one 24V 100ah right now on Amazon. The listing says they can be connected in series. So either way will work. If the ability to split them back into 12V if ever needed helps your use case then go for it.

Sorry I read right past the Ampere Time you mentioned in your original post. Two 12V 100ah seem to be cheaper than one 24V 100ah right now on Amazon. The listing says they can be connected in series. So either way will work. If the ability to split them back into 12V if ever needed helps your use case then go for it.
no. yea, that was the reason for my question. although, adding a 6awg cable and a balacing device, the cost isn't too different. but i do have a 12v trolling motor, i might need this ability to take one out for backup. so i was looking for a strong reason to go with the one 24v.

thanks so much for ur response.

no. yea, that was the reason for my question. although, adding a 6awg cable and a balacing device, the cost isn't too different. but i do have a 12v trolling motor, i might need this ability to take one out for backup. so i was looking for a strong reason to go with the one 24v.

thanks so much for ur response.
having 2 bms in this case doesn't help. You still only have 1x 24v battery. If you want the benefit of redundancy, then you would need 2x 24v batteries, each with its own BMS.

That said, if redundancy isn't in your design plan, and if 2x 12v 100ah batteries is cheaper than 1x 24v 100ah battery, it would seem like you should do it.

I'm partial to building my own packs. I'd rather put the money into materials and supply my own labor. I built 2x 24v 280ah batteries for my installation.

having 2 bms in this case doesn't help. You still only have 1x 24v battery. If you want the benefit of redundancy, then you would need 2x 24v batteries, each with its own BMS.

That said, if redundancy isn't in your design plan, and if 2x 12v 100ah batteries is cheaper than 1x 24v 100ah battery, it would seem like you should do it.

I'm partial to building my own packs. I'd rather put the money into materials and supply my own labor. I built 2x 24v 280ah batteries for my installation.

thanks. i actually wanted to diy it too. but from what i read, the eve cells from AliExpress sellers are kinda hits or misses, no? do you mind sharing where you get your raw cells?

If going 24v LFP get a 24 volt battery. Cells will stay balanced far better with the single BMS. For additional power run additional 24v in parallel.

wow! thanks much!
sure thing. Also, another word of advice, if you do place an order, pay with credit card or paypal. make sure you have financial protection. i do trust hayley, but if there is one thing i have learned about importing batteries on this forum is that stuff can go south at any time with any vendor.

Back