diy solar

diy solar

One large inverter or dedicated smaller inverter for a dorm fridge? Or just go all in one?

YamInaBox

Would it be better to have a smaller dedicated inverter to run a dorm style fridge and a second one that's larger for running other things? I suppose it depends on what the draw is on the specific inverter but I was thinking about just getting a Giandel 4000w inverter and just running everything off that, (cooktop, laptop, etc) but the only thing I would really need it for continuous would be the fridge, so I wouldn't want to waste power or possibly harm the inverter running it too much (if that's a thing). I'm in the process of developing my rig so I don't have anything yet, so if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. I do feel like saving money on a fridge by not getting a 12v compressor fridge and putting it into the solar and batteries makes more sense, especially since funds are a little tight at the moment. I've got an old 15ft Uhaul that I'm building out so I've got plenty of roof space and I want to basically line the roof with panels, but that might take some time to piece together. Also, the all in one is tempting but I'm not sure what the power draw is (but Will's website says it's high) and I probably won't be plugged in very often. Also, do the all in ones charge the battery when its plugged in to the grid? Saving money on equipment would be nice, but I'm not sure there's much savings if 400w more of solar panels is necessary to make up for power loss. Sorry for all the questions, but whatever advice and answers you guys can help me with would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

I've been running a dorm fridge off a small 1000 watt inverter for over 10 years, off and on full time on my sailboat. You can run it full-time if you want to. I have a giandel 2000w 24v inverter ( nice inverter) that has run pretty much full-time for the last year running a full size fridge and a full-size freezer. The fridge is an inverter type so no inrush. my little 2000 watt has no trouble running both and a pond pump. fridge and freezer both use about 2 kilowatt a day. a dorm fridge will used about 750 - 800 watts a day The Edgestar 3.1 cubic foot dorm fridge runs with a 5 amp load on DC. About 65 Watts which is very nice.

It’s kind of a pain to run 2 systems .
You could have a transfer switch And just switch to your small inverter over night and watch your loads .
I just run my 3600 watt inverter all night I sleep with a c-pap .
if it wasn’t for that I can run on stand by , so the inverter will power up if the fridge kicks on .

I’d potentially have two inverters, one stays new in box as backup if you’re truly off grid.

As far as efficiency losses and “expense” - 250W panels are cheaper per watt BUT if you are truly off grid four Rich 100W panels are $330ish total on the amazonian and give you both recovery headroom and quicker recharge -which w/ lead acid is one key to longevity. Plus, as panels decline output over their 30-year life, the extra panels can keep you away from your use threshold for longer or forever.

Back