diy solar

diy solar

One of strings showing voltage but not pulling full amperage when connected to combiner

NomNomCameron

I have 300 watt pannels connected 4 in series per string going to a combiner which feeds an EPEver 100 amp 200v charge controller. I started connected the strings today, first 2 went off without a hitch, showing 20 amps @ ~150v, when I connected the third string the amperage did not increase on the charge controller and when I check the current around that string (where it connects to the combiner) the amperage is showing opposite polarity of the other 2 strings? This third string in question shows ~150v when probed with the same polarity as the other 2 strings and I have triple-checked that all strings are wired in series correctly all the way to the combiner. I connected another string the same way, without an issue so this problem seems to be isolated to this string. Could one of the panels be bad or could I have done something wrong??

I've never run into this issue before with new or used panels (these have never been used, purchased at a liquidation auction).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Have you verified the voltage, or negative voltage idependently with a volt meter? I would think it rare, but the MC4 connectors could have been reversed at the factory?

Reactions: Rho
Have you verified the voltage, or negative voltage idependently with a volt meter? I would think it rare, but the MC4 connectors could have been reversed at the factory?
I have not checked that, I figured since I get positive voltage at the end of the leads when the panels are in series that couldn't be the case. I'll check each panel's voltage next time I'm out there

If you have negative voltage on one of your strings, I agree with Michaelk in that the one string probably has the wiring in the MC4 connector reversed. That is easy to do. I screwed up once and reversed the wires in one of my MC4 connector.

Reactions: Rho
Back