diy solar

diy solar

One set of panels and two grid tie inverters

Scott Martinez

If you took all your array and paralleled it to two Sun G2 inverters, you'd loose MPPT tracking from what I understand. But on an array that is pretty much in full sun for the peak hours, would it be beneficial to have excess DC going to the the leg that is drawing more at any given point vs splitting the array up equally during full sun? I have more solar than I need other than when a microwave or hair dryer is used during peak sun. -I guess I could experiment, but need to parallel 3 sets of two panels to get the right voltage for the grid ties and don't have the cabling to parallel like this yet.

What I have:
6 Renogy 270w 32'ish open voltage panels
2 Sun G2 1000k grid tie with limiters
30 amp breaker in front of each inverter

What I'm doing:
2 panels on leg one, and 4 panels on leg two US 240v. I have two of the Suns going to each leg.

Thanks for your help. I've learned a lot in the last year or so with this Covid project learning about DC, batteries, and solar. So far, nothing is on fire...

I'm a little surprised you loose MPPT tracking in parallel operation. Usually as the array gets bigger you need more MPPTs as not all the panels can be in the same orientation. Let us know what you find out.

Back