diy solar

diy solar

Online solar permitting service recommendations?

BobH

I have a pretty good idea of the sizing, hardware & design for a relatively straight forward grid-tied system using a Sol-Ark hybrid system for easy expansion. It looks like the best pricing for components is from regional suppliers within driving distance (I'm near Tampa, Fl & the suppliers are about a 4 hour drive in SE Florida.) These suppliers don't offer permitting services. So while some e-tailers provide permitting assistance if you buy a system from them, I can save significantly more via the "local" suppliers.

So, does anyone have any online permitting services they would recommend? I'm pretty sure I need a structural engineering stamp and possibly an electrical engineer stamp as well.

TIA -Bob

I assume you plan to install yourself.
There is some good info in this thread - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/owner-builder-diy-enphase-iron-ridge-florida.5719/
If you read that thread I think you may find that you don't need an engineer stamp.
He said he got some free wind paperwork from Iron Ridge and that was excepted for the engineering.
AltE store does permit planning for a reasonable price and they sell SolArk.
CED Greentech does permit plans and they sell SolArk too. I'd prefer AltE for support but you probably pay more for shipping.

The structural engineer will have to come to you I think. But you probably don't need that either unless you are installing on a patio or there's something odd about your roof.
I am just offering what I found doing research around Tampa. There are others here with much more experience.
I am working on my permit now so I will find out for sure real soon.

Thanks - CED Greentech SE (Ellenton, FL) has been unresponsive to my calls & emails, so they've been scratched from my list. Since I didn't want to waste their time, I was very specific in what I needed. They either weren't interested in a 13kW project or they must not handle the products I wanted (even though they can be found on the "parent" site).

AltE will do permits as you mentioned:
altE Permit Residential <20K Roof Mount - $375
altE Permit Residential <20K Roof Mount+PE Stamp - $800

I'm investigating this alternative to an engineering stamp mentioned in the post link you provided: 4) Florida law requires the solar array have an engineers stamp or be certified by FSEC Florida Solar Energy Center.

If I follow my existing plan, my cost will be close to $1.10 - $1.25 per watt (after the 22% 2021 tax rebate), self installed & depending on the module price. Payback time of 6 - 7 years.

If & when I pull the trigger, I'll update my experience with the 3rd party permit service.

So I'm still gathering together all the documentation and options for a DIY residential install & permitting. I got some limited direction from my AHJ/Central Permitting Office. They are using an older version of the US Fire Code -NFPA 1 (2015) Section 11.12.2.2.2.1 which requires a 36" pathway on each side of a roof ridge for emergency/fire access. A new version of the code, NFPA 1 2018, will be adopted by my locality (Florida) on Dec 31 2020. & that will reduce the pathways to 18" per roof ridge size (given other constraints). This allows for a lot more flexibility on the number of modules & placement if you have limited roof area. Plus the higher the panels are on the roof, generally, the better the sun exposure with less impacts from any surrounding trees & obstructions the higher up you can get them.

Since I'm too late in the game to get anything installed before the drop in the tax rebate from 2020 = 26% to 2021 = 22%, I'll probably wait to submit a permit app. for the new codes to be in place I can try and get the local fire officials to sign an exemption and submit a permit app still in 2020. We'll see. There are lots of local solar company pics that show installs close to the roof ridge lines, so these installers are getting some relief from the old codes requirements.

Another nugget I found was this site - https://get.solardesigntool.com/ They give you access to their permitting software tool for $50 a month. You still have to do a lot design planning yourself, but it makes putting together a pro-level permit package a lot easier. Online permitting services range from $250 - $400 depending on your complexity. If you have a straight forward project with industry standard components, then the solardesigntool seems to be a great value. If I go this route, I'll post the sanitized output I get.

I'll continue posting my progress and maybe be another n=1 experiment in DIY residential solar install. Stay tuned lol...

I finally got an answer from Pinellas County-

"You will need 2 sets of signed and sealed engineered drawings. Including structural and electrical."

Paying AltE $600 isn't so bad but I'm not sure if using an out of state service is such a smart idea.

Sorry for sharing my hopeful thinking in my previous post.

Thanks - CED Greentech SE (Ellenton, FL) has been unresponsive to my calls & emails, so they've been scratched from my list. Since I didn't want to waste their time, I was very specific in what I needed. They either weren't interested in a 13kW project or they must not handle the products I wanted (even though they can be found on the "parent" site).

AltE will do permits as you mentioned:
altE Permit Residential <20K Roof Mount - $375
altE Permit Residential <20K Roof Mount+PE Stamp - $800

I'm investigating this alternative to an engineering stamp mentioned in the post link you provided: 4) Florida law requires the solar array have an engineers stamp or be certified by FSEC Florida Solar Energy Center.

If I follow my existing plan, my cost will be close to $1.10 - $1.25 per watt (after the 22% 2021 tax rebate), self installed & depending on the module price. Payback time of 6 - 7 years.

If & when I pull the trigger, I'll update my experience with the 3rd party permit service.
I tried the FSEC site and they don't have Solark or my solar panels in the system. They say I can contact the solar panel company and ask them to add their product to the site. For the Solark they say to send in the data sheet and they might add it. Their pricing is unclear to me too.

No problem adding to this thread. That's what I'm hoping others will do as well. Even though permitting is very location specific, the codes and paperwork are becoming more universal across most (US) areas anyway.

I never heard back from my email to them. It sounds like calling them might be a waste of time as well.

Back