diy solar

diy solar

Open Barrel vs Close Barrel Crimp Terminals

I don’t like the larger Anchor heat shrink connectors. The barrel is too short imo and the jaws of their crimper want to slide. I use them for quick repairs. Uninsulated and heat shrink. I have a bunch of the small anchor that I will use with an endentor crimp when I don’t care if I puncture hs. Love their small terminals just not that crimper. But heck next thing you will tell me crimp, solder and HS are bad

I don’t like the larger Anchor heat shrink connectors. The barrel is too short imo and the jaws of their crimper want to slide. I use them for quick repairs. Uninsulated and heat shrink. I have a bunch of the small anchor that I will use with an endentor crimp when I don’t care if I puncture hs. Love their small terminals just not that crimper. But heck next thing you will tell me crimp, solder and HS are bad
I prefer the Wirefy crimp tool myself.
Unfortunately, Ancor is the only 8 gauge brand I've found. All other sizes I use the Wirefy, and I'm sure there are plenty of good brands out there, both connectors and crimp tools.

Had a heck of a time finding 24 gauge crimp connectors for a BMS. Don't know what brand they were, but were actually pretty good, just expensive since they are a specialty size.

Sometimes solder can be bad, if the wire is flexed enough, since the solder will get wicked into the insulation. Pretty edge case though.

I'm not saying otherwise.

Where did I say otherwise that you keep feeling the need to debate it?
Because you are in the beginners section saying only use a hex hydraulic crimper. For 10 gauge and below, better and faster to use the correct crimp tool and connector rather than wasting time trying to hydraulic crimp 12 gauge connectors. 8 gauge might be an edge case.

Because you are in the beginners section saying only use a hex hydraulic crimper. For 10 gauge and below, better and faster to use the correct crimp tool and connector rather than wasting time trying to hydraulic crimp 12 gauge connectors. 8 gauge might be an edge case.
I never said anything of the sort. I said for the same price of that large manual indent crimper you can get a hydraulic one.

You're the one that projected all over that comment.

I never said anything of the sort. I said for the same price of that large manual indent crimper you can get a hydraulic one.

You're the one that projected all over that comment.
I don't own an indent crimp tool, and can honestly say I've never used one.

You are correct, it was another user who said anyone not using a hydraulic crimper was lazy, not you.

I don't own an indent crimp tool, and can honestly say I've never used one.

I didn't say you owned one either.

I'm saying you're sitting here arguing something I never said.

My statement was that for the money of the indent crimper the other guy linked you can buy cheap hydraulic (and two pairs of other types of crimpers).

What exactly are you arguing here???

At no point did I say "only use hydraulic" and in fact I stated multiple times that non hydraulic is fine for what we are doing.

stand by what I said, if you can't get a good crimp with a heat shrink connector, you are using the wrong tool. The correct die is not a "double crimp type"
I’m sure you do

As others have pointed out, this is the beginners corner and you are over the top trying to be right.

As others have pointed out good quality crimpers for a B crimp or hex swage crimp meet any standard we need to apply to small solar power because we’re not headed to space or working on a 767.

Your pontificating I’ll admit annoyed me. Salt-spread snow covered winter roads reveal any heat shrink flaws; even factory harnesses from ISO- assemblers done with (by visual evidence)favorite method: fail. Bare terms with heat shrink over are at least as durable as the factory shrink assemblies and in my observation much more reliable than field-installed shrink terms.

‘not using the right tool’.
Phffft. If a 100% contact water/weatherproof connection is made and we’re not putting solar panels on F35s please don’t confuse beginners with stuff that goes off the tracks and make them abandon good advice because they don’t wanna go get a PhD in EE, Aircraft.

The question was about open or closed barrel crimps. To me i like tubular and not split terminals but either can work fine for our purposes.

I’m sure you do

As others have pointed out, this is the beginners corner and you are over the top trying to be right.

As others have pointed out good quality crimpers for a B crimp or hex swage crimp meet any standard we need to apply to small solar power because we’re not headed to space or working on a 767.

Your pontificating I’ll admit annoyed me. Salt-spread snow covered winter roads reveal any heat shrink flaws; even factory harnesses from ISO- assemblers done with (by visual evidence)favorite method: fail. Bare terms with heat shrink over are at least as durable as the factory shrink assemblies and in my observation much more reliable than field-installed shrink terms.

‘not using the right tool’.
Phffft. If a 100% contact water/weatherproof connection is made and we’re not putting solar panels on F35s please don’t confuse beginners with stuff that goes off the tracks and make them abandon good advice because they don’t wanna go get a PhD in EE, Aircraft.

The question was about open or closed barrel crimps. To me i like tubular and not split terminals but either can work fine for our purposes.
Truce.
No intention to create such a heated debate. Apologies. There is nothing wrong with your method, or using either open or closed connectors.

Anyway, truce,
Tubular, vs split? If not in a salt environment and not pushing currents to the max of the wire size, whatever is on the shelf at the local store.

Marine Grade Wire & Terminals Vs Automotive Grade​

Through YOUTUBE, I found this crimping terminal video is very effective

520PCS Marine Wire Connectors - Heat Shrink Terminals Specs Ring Fork Spade Butt Connectors, Heat Shrink Electrical Connectors, 12-10,16-14,22-16 Specs Heat Shrink Wire Connector Kit Tinned Red Copper​

, Try click connect

Marine Grade Wire & Terminals Vs Automotive Grade​

Through YOUTUBE, I found this crimping terminal video is very effective

520PCS Marine Wire Connectors - Heat Shrink Terminals Specs Ring Fork Spade Butt Connectors, Heat Shrink Electrical Connectors, 12-10,16-14,22-16 Specs Heat Shrink Wire Connector Kit Tinned Red Copper​

, Try click connect

Back