diy solar

diy solar

Open Ground from Growatt AC Output...

ddanley

Hello!

I was going to charge the Tesla with the Growatt off grid system , but the Tesla Mobile Charge gave a Flashing red T on the charger. This means that "there was a ground fault circuit interruption due to an unsafe current path."

I purchased an outlet tester and indeed the tester indicates an open ground. Does this mean there is a bad ground connection at the AC output or something more sinister?

My AC output from the growatt consists of a spliced extension cord... Please educate me on exactly what this means.

Appreciate any and all inputs.

Hello!

I was going to charge the Tesla with the Growatt off grid system , but the Tesla Mobile Charge gave a Flashing red T on the charger. This means that "there was a ground fault circuit interruption due to an unsafe current path."

I purchased an outlet tester and indeed the tester indicates an open ground. Does this mean there is a bad ground connection at the AC output or something more sinister?

My AC output from the growatt consists of a spliced extension cord... Please educate me on exactly what this means.

Appreciate any and all inputs.
Grounding sounds simple but is actually quite complex. If you really want to learn, Study the following resources with particular attention paid to the Neutral-Ground Bond information.

The bottom line is that the Tesla charger checks to make sure a Neutral-Ground bond exists in the system. The Grow-watt does not have that so it needs to be added.

If you are never going to tie the growatt into grid or shore power, you can just add a jumper between Neutral and ground.
If you are going to use the Growatt input with a source (like your house) that already has an N-G bond, then it needs to be dynamic. (The 3rd resource listed above has specifics on how to make a dynamic N-G bond on a Growatt system.)

Check out this thread. I ran the Growatt 3000TL 48v through my home Generator Transfer Switch and all is fine (last update in thread)

Click on the orange download button at the top of the screen.
View attachment 70779

This is not the first time people have missed the download button. (I did it the first time I looked at a resource page). I just added instructions about the orange download button to a bunch of the resources I posted.... hopefully that will help)

... and there it is. Will check them out. Going to rummage through your literature and double check for errors since I wired our entire house.

Hi,

I have a similar issue but mine is not showing an open neutral, it is showing an open ground. When I had an open neutral issue previously my plug tester correctly showed an open neutral. My system is grounded to a grounding rod. I tried removing the 2 internal ground-neutral screws inside the Growatt and I saw no difference. I have no AC input connected, just an output to use AC from the inverter.

An open ground is showing that the ground is not bonded to the neutral. It has nothing to do with the earth.

Back