diy solar

diy solar

Open Ground when testing outlets on MPPsolar inverter

shmu356

hello all, its my first time posting here :)
i build for my home 5KW solar system with 4KW panels. using the MPPsolar inverter PIP5048GK, after connecting the PV to the inverter and testing the outlets it show open ground, risk to electrifying.
so i contact their customer service asking what to do, and if the inverter is broken.
they said I may want to short the output N-G terminals together, so they are always zero. and that the inverter flout by design.
is this the safe ? should i do this ?

the full mail:
Hello, I have connected my PIP5048GK to my PV array, and to my house, without utility or battery.
I have used the PV IN and the AC out ports, and connected the ground wire to the metal case on the bottom.
testing my house, shows that the house is not grounded and its Floating.
how to fix it ? Why does this N-G have higher than 0v when testing them ?
thanks very much.

the answer:
Hello Sir

Please use the meter to measure the AC output N-G terminal voltage on the unit. If the voltage is not 0v, you may want to short the output N-G terminals together, so they are always zero. This will solve the problem.

What you see would be normal, because by default the design of inverter output is FLOAT, i.e. output N-G is NOT zero. This won't affect load because L-N is still 230v, but if you have an output RCD installed, then you may want to short the output N-G terminals together, so they are always zero. This will solve the problem.

Under line mode - there won't be such issue, because OUTPUT = INPUT, so if input N-G = zero, output N-G will be zero, too.
I hope it helps you.

Thank you.

Attachments

• PIP-GK manual.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 17
Simply bridge ground and neutral, that's all you have in your house fuse box. Run a short wire between the two and all your problems will go away.

thanks for the answer.
this what the their customer service said, i just wanted to make sure its safe.

Thats all GFCI and heavy duty devices check for, is there any resistance between neutral and ground. If so they will not work. My car charger will light up a “Ground Fault” LED if I run of an inverter without bonding ground and neutral.

Ground Is just an alternative neutral that makes life a little safer If there is a short circuit.

In your house fuse box, ground and neutral (green and white wires) and bonded together.
Let us know if it works ok for you. Have fun!

Back