diy solar

diy solar

Opinion: Buy a Turn key Solar Assistant or Build and save $75?

Zapper77

Renaissance Man
Should I buy a Turn key Solar Assistant (pi3 from 247 or SA directly) or buy the software and Pi3 LTS individually and save $75 dollars in the process?

I think the harder part is finding a cheap Raspberry Pi.

Setting up the SD card doesn’t take much work at all, but I’ve done it a lot.

Like @DIYrich said, what’s your time worth to you? Other than time, the preloaded copy doesn’t buy you much.

Finding a Pi device is the hardest part. The image software is super simple and you can be up and running with it in just a few minutes.
I would have bought the package, just to save the trouble of finding a PI during covid, but the shipping charges were just a killer so went DIY instead.
If you decide to go DIY, make sure you get a high endurance SD card too.

Should I buy a Turn key Solar Assistant (pi3 from 247 or SA directly) or buy the software and Pi3 LTS individually and save $75 dollars in the process?
I have owned an IT consulting and service business for 40 years and I just bought the one from 247watts. Easier, quicker, and not that much money difference.

It's pretty simple to do and the orange pi is easy(ier) to get these days. I'm a fan of doing it yourself and the savings will buy dinner. Every dollar saved can be used somewhere else :)

Back