diy solar

diy solar

Opinion on 100Ah Battery System: Renogy AGM x EG4 Lithium

Old_Skewler

Solar Enthusiast
I am starting my kit with 48V @ 100AH net useable. Considering either (4) Renogy AGM 12V 200AH or a EG4-LifePower 48V 100AH + BMS.

Both packages at the same price and net energy capacity is also comparable based on AGM DOD 50%.

So with comparable price and net usable capacity, which technology would yo pick for a off-grid system running with a Magnum MS4448 inverter?

Assuming the EG4 vendor is legit (never used them), I am inclined to get the EG4 simply because of the weight benefit.

Any feedback on the proposed question?

All things equal (i did not check your numbers), i would choose the battery that was good for thousands of charge cycles over the battery good for hundreds of charge cycles.
That, my friend, should indeed be a important metric to consider, which I had forgotten.

Thank you.

If you are recharging from Solar, then you should look at LFP for the shorter recharge time.

AGM with daily cycling are difficult to fully charge in a solar day. The result is usually a significant drop in battery capacity within a year or two. Recommended lithium even if costs are higher.

Mike

And don't forget that for a 48V system, a single 48V battery is much simpler than putting 4 12V batteries in series.

Also, each of the 4 AGM batteries weigh 127.9 lbs / 59 kg for a total of 511.6 lbs / 236 kg. The one EG4 battery weighs 109 lbs / 49 kg.

So the single 48V LiFePO₄ battery costs the same initially, gives the same capacity, last many years more, weighs less than 1/4, takes up far less space, and is easier to setup than the 4 12V AGM batteries. Hmmm. Tough choice.

So the single 48V LiFePO₄ battery costs the same initially, gives the same capacity, last many years more, weighs less than 1/4, takes up far less space, and is easier to setup than the 4 12V AGM batteries. Hmmm. Tough choice.

Yes, it looks much simpler now after your summary.

Now I need to decide which package has a better reputation: EG4 or AmpereTime.

Now I need to decide which package has a better reputation: EG4 or AmpereTime.
This is comparing a single 48V server rack battery to 4 12V "drop-in" batteries. Brands aside, go with a 48V battery rather than 4 12V in series.

48V LiFePO₄ batteries only seem to come in a server rack format, unless you build your own from 16 3.2V cells.

Edit: I stand corrected. Ampere Time does have a 48V 100Ah battery that is not a server rack battery.

Will has a whole page on server rack batteries:

Last edited:
Another factor to consider is storage environment. I’d love to use lithium but I my off-grid cabin sits unheated over the winter and that’s not good for any lithium battery I’ve come across. Unfortunately the 100lb server rack form factor is not easy enough for me to remove for annual storage as my place is boat access only and that’s too much work. Just something to keep in mind, they don’t like to freeze.

Back